The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Guitar Scales... Guitar Scales...

I know a lot of guys think of soloing different ways. Some use modes, some play strictly over chord shapes. Many times I keep it simple by only using the relative major and minor scales in a given key.

Just two scales give me a big chunk of the neck to play on, and they both sound different even though they are in the same key (the relative minor lending itself to all those cool bluesy licks).

Article and podcast on it here -

http://guitarthinker.com/2010/09/kno...e-minor-scale/

Anybody else do it like me?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM

It seems like on a lot of these websites, they say here is the scale, and then they put a picture of the fretboard with black dots on the string and fret that makes up the scale. (In general, I'm not referring to what you posted.)

I see that, but I also see a number inside of each black dot. For example, numbers 1- 7 for the major scale. I know that 1-3-5 form the tonic chord, 1-4-6 the 4th chord, 2-5-7 the 5th, and so on. So can play "chord-like" from the scale viewpoint.

I go the other way, too, although it's not as straightforward. For example, the 1-3-5 of the 4th chord is really 4-6-1 of the tonic scale. Etc.

Editted to add:
I think it's important to be able to "hear" intervals. For example, if I give you a C, can you sing me an F? Now, do a fourth in another key. Try hitting the intervals that aren't in a major scale like the augmented 5th!

Hours of endless fun and adventure!

Last edited by Allman_Fan; 09-30-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 AM

Smile Totally Agree

Allman Fan,

I totally agree. It is hard to tell what is going on sometimes from those static scale charts. - They confuse me sometimes and I play for a living. Here is a video instead:

http://guitarthinker.com/2010/10/pen...-major-thirds/
Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Another thing is I don't use those mode names. I guess I think of everything in terms of the numbers associated with the major scale.

You want "Dorian?" In my mind it is "b3, b7."

In all walks of like (not just music), I prefer descriptive over arbitrary names, as the former offers utility and the latter . . .

Besides, many melodies, harmonies and chords will contain notes that are in addition to ANY seven note reference. (I'm thinking about a "Sentimental Journey," right now!)

I don’t see scales/modes as music.

Use what works for you!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Landing back on the right part of the beat can allow you to use any note you like, and not just in jazz...look at bluegrass or even metal.....blues, passing notes add movement and experimenting with tehm liberates you from being stuck in scale position ruts, after a while you find you can find odd little things and still be back on the beat in time to resolve it.

You can kinda see it in my flatpicking vid.
Then, I know this isn't acoustic, but I was tring to just use as much notes as I could think in any variation of E minor, and land back on the root so it didn't just sound like random notes....it's still not musical, but it sounds in tune if you get what I mean;
silly shred nonsense

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Cool Allman Fan!

I am now an 'Allman Fan' fan. I couldn't have said it better myself. It is all about keeping it simple - altering the major scale - not memorizing modes.

It is obvious that you get it. Great response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write