The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Default beater cedar top suggestions

one thing my collection has been missing since i sold my seagulls is a cedar top guitar. i'm not really to get really serious right now, but i am thinking a small - small meaning 000 or smaller - guitar with a cedar top would be nice. i need the guitar to be fairly shallow, too - 4 inches deep or less would be nice. and not surprisingly, i'd like it to sound good and cedary.

any suggestions?

Last edited by patticake; 07-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Are the Godin "Folk" models too big? I know A&L and Seagull have cedar topped guitars in that size range, but I've never seen one in person.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Lightbulb

I see Art&Luthiery cedar Folk models for cheap, and they seem like great bargains to me.
There's a satin black version hanging in a store locally, and I think they must assume it's all laminated by their price, but it's solid cedar under there! We're talking less than half the list price.

I couldn't believe how good it sounded under that black "varnish," but the website tells the tale:

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com...edarblack.html
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I have a Seagull Coastline Grand parlor that I really like, but I'm a beginner and can't tell you how this compares to your other choices. I think it's about 4.2" in depth.

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-Coastl...0267258&sr=8-2
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Not sure what constitutes beater, but I've enjoyed my Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE, which is cedar topped and OM sized, also features cutaway and electronics. This one has grown in me in the year I've owned it. Worth a test drive in its price range.

Martin D-18GE, Martin OM-21 Special, Epi EF500-RCCE, Gibson Les Paul Studio, some others.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Patti,

As others have done, I would suggest the Seagull Folk or Parlor except that the Folk is 4.5" deep and the Parlor is 4.2" deep. The Folk is 14.76" at the lower bout, which is smaller than a 000. I wouldn't consider either of these models a beater, but rather each one of the best models in their sizes at their price point.

I had a S6+CW Folk, it is now called the Coastline Cedar Folk. Great cedar tone, wonderful playability, cutaway, pickup and deluxe TRIC case. http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm

Last edited by brian a.; 08-07-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM

I would also recommend the Seagull Coastline Parlor. Is that what you had before?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM

I'd say there are a few Takamine models worth checking out. They have a dread (GS330S) that used to sell for around $300 and it comes in a smaller size but I can't remember the model number. Also, you might even look at one of the higher models used -- like the EAN40c or NP45c or ND45c. I used to have an NP15c (dread shape version) that was an awesome guitar. I'd like to have another sometime.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 PM

Hey Patti
I just measured My Godin brand Norman folk model,as i understand it the specs don't change much across the Godin line.The widest i measured the sides as being just a tad under 4 1/2 inches.Have you tried any Godin brand folk models yet?I remember you started a similar thread to this one before.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM

I loved my Seagull Coastline Grand cedar top. But I played a wonderful Aria AP STD cedar top (at McCabe's as you are in LA). Wonderful tone, nice player, beautiful to look at as well. Even has wood binding. Priced like the A&L's. And they are not 'beaters.'
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Last edited by cke; 07-27-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

interesting that pretty much everyone recommended a godin. i recently sold my seagull coastline cedar grand after being unable to play it without pain for several months.

aml1000 - i'm having trouble finding the cedar topped masterbilts. used to see them everywhere, now not so much. i notice they're not on zzounds any longer, haven't seen one in a gc recently, either. i'll keep an eye out.

cke, thanks - if it's still there this weekend, i'll check it out. sometimes i can play something deeper depending on where the waist is.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

didn't see the cedar top aria at mccabe's, and we did look. arie saw a cedar top classical aria, but that was the only one either of us could find.

almost bought another seagull coastline cedar grand today, but luckily played it a while, and it started to hurt my shoulder. it appears that 4" deep is my max. btw, we a-b'ed the seagull and a couple a&l's, and even though both brands are godin, the same shape and made with the same woods, they sound distinctly different from each other. the a&l is louder, but i prefer the tone of the seagull, which is less strident.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Not sure it qualifies as a beater in the strictest sense (certainly doesn't sound like one), but I am a fan of the Takamine EF740SGN (catchy name...).

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=580153
Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Take a look at the Walden line they have some very nice guitars at good prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion