The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Epiphone Master Series

Has anyone tried the Epiphone Master Series AJ500M? If so, feedback please.

Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM

They are very nice. Dwight from The Office plays one. Simple finish and great sound. All solid woods. For some odd reason, Epiphone built an amazing line called the Elitist a few years ago but that didn't last long. They were Japanese made. But their best Les Paul was almost the same price as a Junior Gibson Les Paul. I would still love Epi to bring back the Elitist.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I have played two of them. Both were bought by friends to whom I provided advice. Both are very happy with these guitars for the cost involved.

My opinion is that they are very good values for the price. They play well, they sound good. They don't sound like a $3-4K guitar, they don't have quite the sound quality and responsiveness, but then, they cost one six to one eighth of that cost, too.

In my mind, they are a very good value.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM

They get decent reviews. If you do a search here for "Masterbilt" you'll find a lot of info. One of my wife's cousins has been playing an AJ500M at his church for several years now. He seems to like it, but I've never handled the guitar.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 PM

I've got one with the factory Baggs Element preamp system, and the smaller bodied EF-500. Both great sounding guitars, with the EF-500 a little easier to play sitting because of the size and the AJ with more volume and bass. Very nice sounding guitars.

That said, I put it up for sale in the Classifieds here to pay for a Guild D-25 that really caught my ear at my local shop. I don't need two dreadnought sized guitars.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
They get decent reviews.
I really don't believe in guitar reviews. And I can't believe those who do. You can build two guitars with the same bracing and same wood and they may still sound quite different. Buy two ipods of the same model and you get the same thing.

I remember I was once in a guitar store and a young guy tried an Alvarez. He said he liked it but it got some bad reviews.

There will never (read: NEVER) be a substitute or measure as good as playing it yourself. If a movie gets a million bad reviews, there is a very good chance you won't like it (think: Catwoman). My first $200 guitar got amazing reviews on Harmony Central. After a year, the neck forward fretted and now I get buzz in the first and second positions... with open chords.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcon View Post
They are very nice. Dwight from The Office plays one. Simple finish and great sound. All solid woods. For some odd reason, Epiphone built an amazing line called the Elitist a few years ago but that didn't last long. They were Japanese made. But their best Les Paul was almost the same price as a Junior Gibson Les Paul. I would still love Epi to bring back the Elitist.
Dwight Schrute doesn't play guitar, Andy Bernard does.....
Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
Dwight Schrute doesn't play guitar, Andy Bernard does.....
So this is the part where I correct you...
You don't even need to play the video. Just looking at the image will be good enough for me.
http://theofficeblips.dailyradar.com...country_roads/
Old 07-27-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
So this is the part where I correct you...
You don't even need to play the video. Just looking at the image will be good enough for me.
http://theofficeblips.dailyradar.com...country_roads/
thats not actual video, those are just pictures
btw I know you're right, but I never saw Dwight play, just Andy................and btw Andy plays very well !!!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I really don't believe in guitar reviews. And I can't believe those who do.
And yet you offered one in your first post on this thread.

The OP asked for feedback on these guitars. Reviews are a form of feedback. I always ask for the same info before I go try a new guitar. I have to travel several hours to try most brands, so I like to know if it's worth my time before I head out.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
thats not actual video, those are just pictures
btw I know you're right, but I never saw Dwight play, just Andy................and btw Andy plays very well !!!!!!
Here you go then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9-o...eature=related
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
that was awesome...............
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
And yet you offered one in your first post on this thread.

The OP asked for feedback on these guitars. Reviews are a form of feedback. I always ask for the same info before I go try a new guitar. I have to travel several hours to try most brands, so I like to know if it's worth my time before I head out.
I think that there is a difference between a review and feedback. A review is harmony central where someone who owns one talks about his model and describes the sounds, etc. Feedback is saying I've tried it, heard it on TV, played it in stores and generally like the feel and sound of it. Aside from a cheap, no name $200 kicker, I've never really played a guitar that I hated or just thought was horrible. I like some much more than others but I think that the good guitars will always sound good in somebody's hands. The cheap ones can sometimes sound bad in Tommy Emmanuel's hands.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I think that there is a difference between a review and feedback. A review is harmony central where someone who owns one talks about his model and describes the sounds, etc. Feedback is saying I've tried it, heard it on TV, played it in stores and generally like the feel and sound of it. Aside from a cheap, no name $200 kicker, I've never really played a guitar that I hated or just thought was horrible. I like some much more than others but I think that the good guitars will always sound good in somebody's hands. The cheap ones can sometimes sound bad in Tommy Emmanuel's hands.
potato..........pototo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion