The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Default Question on a Guitar Bible

What book would you say is THE BOOK for working on acoustic guitars...all encompasing... from toes to nose if you know what I mean...
Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM

I reckon the most complete and suitable volume for you would be The Guitarist's Bible by the late great Eric Roche.

Seriously, do check it out.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM

Not a book, but Frank Ford has compiled an extensive encyclopedia of information on the care, feeding, maintenance, and repair of acoustic guitars. As he says, FRETS.com is a place for players and a place for luthiers.

Besides his work with Gryphon Stringed Instruments, Frank is a consultant for the tools and parts company Stewart McDonald and often contributes his ideas on online Forums.

His sites are here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/first.html Check out the Big Index for the full scope of the available topics.

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/whatsnew.html

and CDs are available too. Frank is an amazing guitar guru, and we guitar types are grateful for the time he's taken to document and share his knowledge.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks... My 82 year old father just took up playing guitar this year... He also wants to learn how to work on them... He is brilliant with wood and tools and I say bravo for him...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM

I agree, FRETS.com is probably the best.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide goes into great detail on everything from fret work to replacing a bridge. Lots of details on acoustics like repairing loose braces.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampdog View Post
Thanks... My 82 year old father just took up playing guitar this year... He also wants to learn how to work on them... He is brilliant with wood and tools and I say bravo for him...
That's great, and he'll then enjoy Frank's creative home-made tools and techniques in the shop. Be sure to look at his Repair Blogs too, step-by-step, day-by-day photo dairies of fixing and restoring guitars.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/whatsnew.html

Hours of good reading! And yes, Bravo for your father, that's the spirit!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I reckon the most complete and suitable volume for you would be The Guitarist's Bible by the late great Eric Roche.

Seriously, do check it out.
+1 for Eric's book. Covers more material / areas than anything else I've seen, and Eric was one of the nicest guys / greatest players / teachers who walked this planet.

Paul.

[edit - Oh, are you looking for a 'how to fix/set up guitars book? - Sorry, I read it as guitar playing. Eric's bible doesn't really cover a lot in the way of workworking - but you should buy it if you play guitar nevertheless!]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion