The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Default 2007 Taylor 110e - buzzing/rattling in the battery area?

Hello everyone,

I recently picked up a 2007 Taylor 110e with the ES system.
I noticed that when I finger-picked the guitar, sometimes the guitar emitted this weird hum or rattle sound - took me forever to figure out that it was coming from the battery holder area located on the bottom of the guitar. Anybody know anything about this or what I can do to get rid of that rattle? I know this was prone with the AA battery holders from the previous ES system, but mine is the 9v one.

Thanks,

Sam

Last edited by Samuelch; 07-21-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Update

So I gave Taylor a quick call (should have done this first before posting) and they explained to me that 9v come in different sizes.

I took a fresh battery out and compared the size of the battery inside the guitar and they were indeed sized differently (the one in the guitar was slightly smaller). No kidding, didn't know 9v came in different sizes.
You learn something new everyday - the rattling and humming is now gone.

Thanks Taylor Guitars!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 PM

experienced this the past few weeks on my 114ce. my D string just wasn't ringing true, had that "bbbrrr" rattle that was definitely not frett buzz. more so when plucked with its neighboring A string. so i tried to isolate if it was because of the half-step down tuning, brought it up to standard and the buzz was still there. next suspect was a bad D string but before that I took out the battery, and voila! the buzz was gone! put the battery back and still gone...removed and put back in a couple of times and randomly it has a buzz and sometimes dont. i guess the battery i got is slightly loose (small) and when lucky it doesnt buzz. I wrap some tape around the battery to make it a snug fit into the holder and hopefully that fixes that.

i think these 9V batteries also bloat when old, coz i got some old batteries that wont fit the battery holder and noticed they were a bit bloated.

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)

Last edited by Mike_A; 09-04-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM

What specific 9V did you need to put in? I have a 110ce and at some point that battery that came with it will run out ot juice.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Just a thought, have you tried putting a bit of cotton wool in there?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM

I use slivers of cut up business card to insure the battery is snug. This buzzing has happened several times. The radio shack battery ( the better one) are snug but then I couldn't get it out! ended up soaking in soapy water to get it out without breaking something!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Some people have mentioned using a post-it note wrapped around the battery. I use an index card cut to size in my 914ce. Didn't know about the differences in sizes for 9-volt batteries though...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 PM

I think that Taylor uses Duracell. That is what I use in mine anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion