The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2001, 02:11 AM

Post Proud New Owner

I just purchased my first guitar (Taylor 310). I also got the Taylor reddish plush case to go along with it. I really love the guitar and can't wait until I can make it sing. The guitar players from the worship team in my church were totally blown away with how good it sounded.

I have two questions:

1. Do most guitar players who become good take lessons or just buy books to learn to play? What do you recommend? What books do you recommend? I currently have the book "Teach Yourself To Play Guitar" by Morty Manus & Ron Manus. How many years does it take to become a good guitar player?

2. Is there anything special I should do to take good care of my guitar?

Thank you very much!
Allan
Old 09-07-2001, 04:55 AM

First off all, congrats on your choice.
Regarding the amount of time it takes to become good. It all comes down to keeping interest, staying motivated, making good use of practice time. Books and videos are a good place to start and lessons are something to look into as well but I think a fair amount of the basics can be mastered before one needs to spend x amount of dollars per half hour to learn more than they could on their own. For everyone its different and a certain amount of aptitude or lack thereof can affect the learning curve for sure.
Start out slowly and you'll learn that nothing is more pleasurable than that first chord, progression, or simple song that sounds musical, it becomes addictive and you'll want learn more and become better. Don't give up if something seems difficult because its all a matter of hardwiring your brain to accept movements and rythms its not used. A Taylor is a wonderful guitar to start out on so put in the time and effort and that 310 will be singin' in no time.

Regarding care of the instrument. Taylors website has tech sheets you can download that have everything you need to know and more.

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 09-07-2001, 04:55 AM

Hi Allan,

Congrats on your purchase. Learning the guitar will be much more enjoyable with such a nice instrument.

The best way to learn is to keep playing. Books and lessons will defenitely help.

May this be the first of many Taylors for you!
Old 09-07-2001, 08:03 AM

Talking

Congrats Allan,

Sorry if I seem to lean more on the 314 rather than the 310. I went through the same decision myself, but guess I decided to take the other road.

In the end, its a Personal preference, and either way, you won't go wrong with a Taylor.

Welcome to the Taylor Family!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion