The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2003, 09:59 AM

Talking baby help

Hey y'all,

have two questions..

How do I rehydrate my poor Baby? I think the dry weather's been having an effect on her.. I notice that the frets are sticking out of the neck, i.e. the fret bars stick out of the neck and you can feel them when you run your finger down the neck. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this when I bought it - Taylor build quality is definitely better than that!

Plus, the neck needs an adjustment. Uhm, so which way do you turn the truss rod to loosen it, i.e. to lower the action? clockwise or counter? can anyone tell i haven't done this before?

Thanks all!

PS - it's a great day in NJ, finally!! time to break out the shorts!
Boss GT-8
Tech 21 PE-60

"I'm not a musician, I'm not a guitarist. I'm just a boy with six strings, some fancy wood, and a heart that wants to go deeper."
Old 03-17-2003, 10:20 AM

Check out the tech sheets on Taylor's website. Rehydrating should aleviate any problems with the body sinking but you'll need to have the fret ends filed to get rid of the sharp ends. Rehydrating won't fix that problem.
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 03-17-2003, 03:49 PM

Rehydrating the body with a dampit or similar probably won't do much to help the neck but it still can be rehydrated.

If you don't have access to a humidity controlled environment, you can supply another source of moisture for the neck. I put a sponge or folded up washcloth in a baggie that I've preforated with several hundred holes (the more the better). The cloth should be damp but not dripping.

Pin or clamp it to the gig bag under the neck.

It will take 2-4 weeks but the fretboard will expand to normal if you're patient. I've done this now to both a Big Baby and a Baby with sharp frets.

If you're in a hurry, I suppose you could file the frets ends down but then you might have the opposite problem when the season changes and the humidity rises again.

HH
Old 03-17-2003, 06:03 PM

I've had to tweak the neck on my Big Baby quite a few times... it seems to react to humidity changes very quickly.

It's not hard to do at all.... just remember to go easy -maybe 1/4 turn at a time - until it looks (feels) right to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion