The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2001, 10:19 AM

Post 714 Pickguard Problem

I just bought a 714 about a month ago and haven't been able to put it down. Love the sound! It was made by the Custom Shop for the summer NAMM show. One small problem, however. The very tip of the pickguard is not securely glued down. Apparently the glue did not run all the way to the tip and it sticks up a little. Although this is a minor thing, I'm afraid I'll snag it while cleaning the guitar. Any suggestions? FH
Old 09-03-2001, 10:41 AM

I've also got a 714, and my pickguard lifts at the bottom corner near the soundhole, and I have snagged it while cleaning. I hear it's pretty common with Taylors, but don't know what can be done about it.

But more importantly, take some pix and send them to JR so we can see that custom beauty in the gallery!
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 09-03-2001, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Hester:
<STRONG>I just bought a 714 about a month ago and haven't been able to put it down. Love the sound! It was made by the Custom Shop for the summer NAMM show. One small problem, however. The very tip of the pickguard is not securely glued down. Apparently the glue did not run all the way to the tip and it sticks up a little. Although this is a minor thing, I'm afraid I'll snag it while cleaning the guitar. Any suggestions? FH</STRONG>
Just remove the pick gaurd and have Taylor send you a new one. They have never charged me for a pick gaurd. JW
Old 09-03-2001, 10:55 AM
honeyburst 614

I'm sure there have been posts about this subject before but I have a theory that I would like to share. Taylor could be putting the guards on too soon. Even though the surface of the finish may seem dry, there may be solvents that are still evaporating out. I have been in the auto collision repair industry for too long now and this can be a problem with us as well. Any decals or emblems that are put on too soon can eventually fail if the solvents eventually make their way through. This does not always occur like with the Taylors so,sometimes the solvents have diminished enough and sometimes not. Just a theory. J White

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion