The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Runaway Prius a Hoax??

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...70227#35870227

I guess they're (NHTSA) looking into the possibility this whole thing might have been concocted. First, it couldn't be duplicated with that specific car and second, some "inconsistencies" in the story. I guess we'll have to wait on this one--and there was definitely a Prius accelerator issue with a gal in the northeast.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Me

I'm with you on my suspicion Norm. That being said, I would be surprised if the error was repeated. That's the nature of these kind of software failures. They are pretty rare and usually require a number of specific errors in a specific sequence errors before they occur. The likely-hood of it happening again is small unless you knew source of the error and could recreate it. If you knew that there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 AM

What would the guy possibly have to gain from creating a hoax like this? He's not even suing Toyota. (If he had a $1million dollar lawsuit, I might think differently. )
Now, conversely, what does the NHTSA have to gain by calling this out as a hoax? Everything. They are already in hot water for turning a blind eye on a problem that was brought to their attention several years ago. So if they call it a hoax, there's less finger pointing at them.
The CHiP, which has investigated the situation as well, has said it shows no signs of being a hoax.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Was this the balloon kid's dad again. :-)
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Maybe he just wanted to speed and blamed the car as an excuse?

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
What would the guy possibly have to gain from creating a hoax like this? He's not even suing Toyota. (If he had a $1million dollar lawsuit, I might think differently. ) [snip]
I can think of only one, unlikely scenario.

The guy is one moving violation away from losing his license. He's driving 75 mph in a 65 mph zone. He spots the police car as he zooms past it. And the fun begins.

Seriously I wonder whether a Prius can generate enough power to overwhelm the brakes, leading to "metal on metal sounds", as described by the CHP officer in the first TV report I saw.

P.S. I finally got the OP's link to run. (Slow comm here.) Seeing Joan Claybrook again brought back not-so-fond memories, highlighted by the infamous backwards bike.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-15-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Joan Claybrook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic