The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Default Taylor BTO: Have a $6700 credit-Help!

I recently bought a Taylor GS Custom that within 2 weeks developed a crack and upon closer inspection, I saw some pretty ugly seepage inside from a side crack. So, my dealer sent it back and they are giving me the option of having a BTO for about $6700 retail. So I am going to move to a GA size, but would love some input from the Forum. Specifically-
1. I am thinking of a GA slotted headstock spruce top, Koa sides and back. The BTO features page has a $1200 A Koa and a $2000 AA Koa. Anyone have experience between the two?
2. Alternately, I am thinking of quilted maple. Good or bad idea?
3. Presentation grade spruce top is another upcharge. Worth it?
So, you can see that I have an opportunity to get a great guitar or blow it. Any input would be welcome. Ideas on inlays? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Koa is a real hit-or-miss wood. I've seen some really pretty examples that sounded ok and a one particularly bla-looking '08 Fall LTD 714ce (the only one I actually saw in the store) that sounded amazing. Actually, they still have it!

The rest depends on your style and etcetera. Ultimately, I'd find a way to fit two guitars into that dollar amount.

Nick

Last edited by ntotoro; 03-02-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbc151 View Post
I recently bought a Taylor GS Custom that within 2 weeks developed a crack and upon closer inspection, I saw some pretty ugly seepage inside from a side crack. So, my dealer sent it back and they are giving me the option of having a BTO for about $6700 retail. So I am going to move to a GA size, but would love some input from the Forum. Specifically-
1. I am thinking of a GA slotted headstock spruce top, Koa sides and back. The BTO features page has a $1200 A Koa and a $2000 AA Koa. Anyone have experience between the two?
2. Alternately, I am thinking of quilted maple. Good or bad idea?
3. Presentation grade spruce top is another upcharge. Worth it?
So, you can see that I have an opportunity to get a great guitar or blow it. Any input would be welcome. Ideas on inlays? Thanks.
All I know is that with Koa you will have plenty opportunity to blow it. It;s very inconsistent wood.

What kind of player are you and what kind of sound do you seek?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Can you take it as 2 GA's, and a GC? Maybe get a Baby with the change left over?

Yikes! I can't imagine coming up with a way to spend $6,700 on a single guitar.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

If you want Koa for its looks, don't get anything less than AA.

The Desert Wind - Patrick's Flight
Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 PM

You would be surpised how fast it goes if you choose a $2000 option like AA koa!

All 6 strings are $2800, then you start adding.Want a cutaway? $400. Expression System? $400. Maple binding? $600. You get the idea.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Maple binding? $600. You get the idea.
Is that the actual number? No kidding, I do get the idea. Yikes again.

At those rates the 414-LTD I used to have was way, way underpriced. It would have cost most of your budget if it came from the BTO sheet.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM

I agree with what others have said of koa. I've only played amazing koa guitars, and horrible ones. There's no in-between, and it's very unpredictable. If you like maple, you should go with it. It's a much better option than buying a koa guitar you haven't played yet.

As for presentation grade spruce(or presentation grade anything, for that matter), I dont know if it's worth the upcharge. it won't sound any different, and it doesn't look that much better than regular... Addy, on the other hand...

If i had 6700 to blow on guitars, I'd either get a few different guitars and enjoy the variation of sound, or spend it on a less blinged out instrument with some of the cooler, lesser known wood combos like maddy RW or sinker redwood with really nice inlays and bindings and rosette. But that's just me, i've got a thing for exotic woods. You've got a whole lot of money there with which to go crazy... if you aim a little lower and try not to think in terms of wood grade, you've got enough to get a perfect setup with just about anything, assuming you're set on getting only one guitar.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
All 6 strings are $2800, then you start adding.Want a cutaway? $400. Expression System? $400. Maple binding? $600. You get the idea.
Is maple binding really that much? Even koa binding (at least on a GA) isn't that much, according to the BTO I'm working with Jim.

Nick
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Can you take it as 2 GA's, and a GC? Maybe get a Baby with the change left over?

my FIRST thought too!!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Yes, koa and maple bindings are that much, per the BTO worksheet.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM

I've never heard of someone saying that Quilt or Flame maple sounded much different than regular maple, but there are lots of people who have mentioned big tonal differences in Koa. The Koa guitars I've had a chance to play have never really done anything for me tonally. Like everyone keeps saying, you've got a lot of money to play with so you should come up with a killer guitar.

If it were me, I'd go with some kind of rosewood myself because that is what sounds best to me. Someone suggested Mad rosewood, Coco is good looking and sounds great too. Good luck.

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 03-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post

I just thought of something, though. It's $6,700 MSRP. Street price would likely be way lower than that, so I could easily see a decently-pimped BTO for that amount of money.

Nick
Old 03-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Taylor BTO: Have a $6700 credit-Help!

That has to be the ultimate in "good problems to have"!

What kind of music do you like to play? Are you a strummer / finger-picker / or both?

You will have mucho choices on woods... I think knowing what you are after will help to narrow down your choices considerably.

I do like Koa - and I like Maple... Again, what tonal range do you like?

Bill
Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't intend to be non-responsive to the issue you are concerned with but cannot resist asking if you've had an opportunity to play an R Taylor? If you are interested in maximizing tonal response (in addition to having whatever woods and bling you like), you really should consider an R Taylor BTO. With that kind of money you could get about anything you wanted in an R Taylor and, IMO, you significantly increase the chance that your guitar is going to sound better than an BTO Taylor.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion