The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2003, 06:49 AM

Question What Strat to look for?

I'm thinking of picking up a used Strat to add to my modest collection...I have some limited knowledge about electrics.

I know there are some real Strat x-spurts on the TGF...can you guys help with some info on what to look for and what to avoid...?

There are so many variations, it makes my head spin. I don't mind changing p/ups and hardware, etc. to upgrade if necessary. I'm working off a budget of no more than $1000.00 (but less IS better )

Thanks as always for your help...

Cheers

Old 02-28-2003, 08:12 AM

My guitar instructor plays a really nice one that they only make every 3 years. I think its a swamp ash model. Around 1200 new. So you should be able to find a used one under $1000 easily. I will find out more from that guy about his guitar and repost the info sometime monday night.

Whatever you do buy American
Old 02-28-2003, 08:25 AM

Hi Mike,

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a bit of experience with Strats that might help. Since your budget goes up to $1,000 and you're willing to buy used, you can look at nearly the entire range of strats (excluding Custom Shop's and some of the re-issues). I've had a chance to play the American Deluxe's, which sell for around $1,100 new, and they are very nice guitars. The American Series, around $800 new, are good as well. There is variation amongst electrics, so it would certainly be beneficial to play as many models as you can before deciding.

As far as only buying American...that's fine, if you have the funds. If you only had $400 or less, it'd be hard to beat a Standard Strat, which is made in Mexico. I've had one for just over 4 years, and it's been a great guitar. Are the American's better? Most of them are, but I have played a few that aren't. Don't worry too much about where it's from, but more how it plays, feels, and sounds.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:56 AM

I guess it should go without saying . . . but try extensively before you buy. I would never buy a Fender sight unseen (ebay, etc.) because the quality can be more variable than with most guitars.

My instructor yesterday showed up without his axe. He went into the showroom of the Fender store and started hunting for a suitable American-made Strat to use. He was only looking at the high-end models, but he went through three before finding one with a straight neck. Then, even after stretching the strings and tuning up, he had to retune several more times with the one he chose in an hour lesson. At the end of the lesson, he took it back to the showroom and continued his search for a suitable guitar to teach his next lesson with.

That's not to say that all Strats are bad -- they're not. But there is enough variability to make testing the specific guitar you buy essential.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:28 AM

Hey JB,

With your budget you can pick up just about any strat if you're willing to buy used, you really need to be careful though.

You may want to consider G&L. Leo Fender started G&L in 1980 and all of the lines in G&L are supposed to be improvements over the Fender strats he's known for, some are very significant improvements. He has also designed new pickups that IMHO, sound much better than what's going in the strats. Take a look at www.buffulobrosguitars.com to get an idea of what's out there. You can also go to www.glguitars.com to get more info. You can also go to www.guitarsbyleo.com (G&L forum), go to links and find ggjaguars' home page and you can learn about the incarnations of just about all of the G&L line like the S-500, George Fullerton Sig., etc.....

Hope this helps. It's kind of overwhelming at first, but once you figure out what you want and what's out there, it get's much easier.

Good Luck..........mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 02-28-2003, 09:33 AM

go for one of the American standards or a Signature (if you can afford.....)

Forget the Highway 1, its pretty much a "high end" beginners guitar......

my $0.02
60th Anniversary Fender Jazz Bass
Old 02-28-2003, 11:26 AM

I don't have alot of love for fender, yes they made the 1st strat, but alot of their quility has gone down the tubes from that 1st strat.

There are still some great (new) fenders to be had out there, but i'd suggest (sense you asked) try some off brands, now i don't mean generic cheap brands, I mean like other American companys who make out standing products and happen to have a "strat copy" like Hamer has one (no longer in production) Hamer makes an out standing product that you can get for a song used, plus they are USA made and i trust there consistancy enough to buy online (i've done it twice with Hamer).

Also like Mojo said G&L has some great products, only heard good about them.

Befor you buy a fender try at least one G&L and if possible a Hamer.

Stephen
Old 02-28-2003, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info...

Tim...I'll look forward to the swamp ash review from your instructor

Flash (and all).... my problem with testing models is location. There are only a few stores here and the closest I'll get to a Strat is a Squire...not happening. I may have to wait for my next trip (???) to do the deed. That is unless there is a TGF member who's willing to sell...that I would do

Mojo & Arch....I've looked into G&L a bit and will keep my options open. Thanks for the links...I'll check them out on the weekend.
MoJo... dude.....with that gear list, I can see that you're a big G&L fan

I've been playing around on a friends ESP Ltd plugged into a Line 6 modelling amp....big, big sound!! That's what got me thinking about a Strat...

Thanks again guys, I keep you posted

Cheers
Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 PM

Thanks Jam-dude,

I was lucky enough to be able to do some extensive A/B-G&L vs strat. For the things I look for, G&L took it hands down. For someone that looks for different things than I may come up with different results.

I'll put my Legacy up against any custom shop strat and probably win, done it too many times (and changed alot of minds in the process). I think I paid $550 used in a pawn shop, and it's pretty much mint.

I also agree with arch, USA Hamers are pretty hard to beat. I've been looking hard at a few myself, more along the Les Paul and arch-top styles.

Carvin also has very nice US made instruments for a good price.

If your gut-feeling tells you to go with a strat, by all means go with it. I've learned long ago to follow my gut feeling, haven't been let down yet.

Keep us informed and let us know what you do. Good luck dude..........mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 02-28-2003, 01:27 PM

Find a mid 80 american (small head stock) and don't be fooled by all the swamp ash stuff. Hendrix played alder strats.
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 02-28-2003, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamBermuda

Flash (and all).... my problem with testing models is location. There are only a few stores here and the closest I'll get to a Strat is a Squire...not happening.
How awful ......maybe you could move from paradise to where I live. We have several G&L dealers around here......too bad there is so much snow you can't get there!

I feel so sorry for you

On a serious note.....I say G&L all the way. If you can find one to try, you will understand.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:42 PM

Having had and loved Strats longer then having and loving my kids, I've learned that the best one for YOU is found by playing any you come across. Fender tolerences and consistency change over the years (months?, days?), like models off the same production run sound completely different.
Sometimes the ole beater sounds great, and the beauty winner sounds like a can. Look around, play, and try to play through the same or closest amp you plan to use. Be sure to spend time playing with NO amp. This can tell you a lot about Strats.
Good hunting......
Old 02-28-2003, 01:43 PM

Old 02-28-2003, 01:50 PM

That's what I thought!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:54 PM

Be sure to pick up the Strat that says "Telecaster" on the headstock. That's the best one.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification