The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Ari Hest

Hey all, i dont know if any of you have heard of this guy, but i think hes pretty good. his guitar skills are so so, but are made much better by his 714ce & 355. hes got a great voice and is puttin on a free show in iowa city on this tuesday, i suggest checking him out if any one is bored in the middle of iowa, and stick around because Leo Kottke is playin here just 4 days later!!!!

patrick
1998 Seagull S6+ Tobacco Burst
Give one of my songs a listen

"I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone."

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 02-27-2003, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Ari Hest

Good to see someone else has discovered Ari Hest. I'm a rep of his and I've plugged him a few times on this forum. He has an 814 though, I don't know of any 714. I'd definitely recommend checking him out. No, he's not an overly impressive guitar player...but he's a great songwriter and singer and uses unique chord changes in his songs.

Ari Hest Website

-Chris
Old 02-28-2003, 12:51 AM

Four days in Central Iowa in early March....

Are there any "all inclusive" beach resorts to stay at?

Just Kidding!!

Jeff
(grew up in Des Moines)
Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM

Hey Pat, listened to your songs. Great stuff (I) would loose the bongos Keep plugin at it..... Bill
A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a tradesman. But, man who works with his hands his head and his heart is a professional..... Taylor is a great name for baby boys & girls!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:17 AM

Bill, thanks alot, yeah im not a big fan of the drums either, but my roommate just really wanted to do something, so he had some rhythm and i gave him a drum but thanks for listening and givin some feedback!!!!

pat
1998 Seagull S6+ Tobacco Burst
Give one of my songs a listen

"I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone."

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 02-28-2003, 01:20 AM

I thought it was a drum machine!! he's pretty good fooled me...Bill
A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a tradesman. But, man who works with his hands his head and his heart is a professional..... Taylor is a great name for baby boys & girls!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 04:43 PM

it's good to see Ari's name getting around. He's a great guy, awesome voice. I'm not sure I'd say his guitar playing is "so-so" though. I think it's perfect for the genre he's in. To me, it'd be like saying James Taylor is a so so guitarist b/c he doesn't rip up the fretboard with guitar solos.

For an example of some crazy changes in Ari's music, check out "Terms and Conditions" from his Come Home cd.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:15 PM

Default My Kids Love This Guy!

My two boys (18 and 15) are really into Ari Hest. Ari generously posts tabs for his music on his site for the taking. Nice touch!

I second what others have said here. Nice voice, decent guitar work, kind of jazzy. Much better than some of the "music" that my 15 year old listens to also.
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 06-15-2003, 05:56 PM

Ric - If you want good tabs on Ari Hest songs please visit the Ari Hest Show Archive Here . Randy has put up tabs to just about all of his songs and they're very good.

-Chris
Old 06-16-2003, 02:59 PM

Hey Chris, it's been a long time man.....thanks for the compliment on the tabs! I've been trying to work out some of Ari's new stuff, but he's been baffling me lately. Next time I see him I'll have to pick his brain about the new material !
Old 06-16-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chtaylo2
Ric - If you want good tabs on Ari Hest songs please visit the Ari Hest Show Archive Here . Randy has put up tabs to just about all of his songs and they're very good.

-Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll pass that on to my sons.
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 06-16-2003, 05:16 PM

Randy - have you worked on Ari's cover of "Big Time"? I'm not quite sure how he plays it. Any ideas?

-Chris
Old 06-16-2003, 07:50 PM

Chris-

To be quite honest, I never intended to tab out the covers that he does. I'll try and get a recording of it and work it out....I'll also add it on the list of things to talk with Ari about. We always have such good conversations over cups of Chai tea

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification