The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2003, 10:54 PM

Default Finally played the Doolin!

I've been raving for a while about Doolin Guitars, and I finally got the chance to play one yesterday! It's Mike's first dreadnought, which you can see here. It more than fulfilled my expectations. It's not quite so deep as the Petros D, but each note rings clear all the way up to the 22nd fret. Even with the double-cutaway smaller body, there's so much sound. And it handles strumming and flat-picking equally. The guy who owns it, Greg, also owns an Olson SJ (supposedly the ultimate fingerstyle guitar) and says that he prefers fingerpicking the Doolin. All in all, the sound is incredible, and I really have to get one as soon as I come up with the cash. The dread that I played is Adi/Brazilian. I'd like to get an OM with Engelmann/Coco. We'll see when it's in the cards.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:46 AM

I met and talked with Mike Doolin. Nice guitar and an outstanding guitar. I loved the sound. I played an OM that he had just finished and I was really surprised that with the double cutaway it had as much depth and sound as it did. Very nice.
Midnight Shadow
Old 02-27-2003, 09:39 AM

That's great! I hope you get one sooner rather than later.

Gardner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification