The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Takamine Nashville TF430SS NEX

Has anyone played/owned this guitar? I saw a Youtube review and the thing sounded awesome. Looks like it may be discontinued by Takamine?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Eric

2011 Martin HD28
2006 Seagull S6 Cedar
2005 Yamaha FG750S
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecw21 View Post
Has anyone played/owned this guitar? I saw a Youtube review and the thing sounded awesome. Looks like it may be discontinued by Takamine?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Eric
I own and it and love it. As far as why it's discontinued, I have no idea....but I'll take a stab at it:

1. No strap button at the heel
2. The word "inspiration" on the back where the neck meets the body. Kind of silly to me.
3. There's a spot where you can add an additional pickup to the soundhole. I might take advantage of it but I don't see it as a selling point.

I personally love the guitar. It sounds wonderful unplugged, plays fast and sounds absurdly loud plugged in.

I don't know why they discontinued it (I saw an ad for it as recently as 3 months ago) but it's become my favorite "Under $1,000 Guitar" since it lists for $999 some places.

Very, very bright (it comes with EXP16 strings).

I bought one from Sigler Music in late November and have been extremely pleased with the guitar, the set-up it came in and questions answered within hours from the Sigler rep

Last edited by PSV 2009; 01-22-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to give credit to Sigler
Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecw21 View Post

Anyone?

Thanks!

Eric
It's still listed on the Takamine USA website so I think they're still available. Look under Tradesman Series, not Nashville Series. I got mine last July and love it. The cool tube preamp is awesome but the tone is still full and rich unplugged. Like most Taks, it's heavier than you would think. They seem to build guitars like tanks. Perhaps that explains their popularity as stage guitars.

Bottom line, if you can find one, get it!

Will
Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmiller View Post
It's still listed on the Takamine USA website so I think they're still available. Look under Tradesman Series, not Nashville Series. I got mine last July and love it. The cool tube preamp is awesome but the tone is still full and rich unplugged. Like most Taks, it's heavier than you would think. They seem to build guitars like tanks. Perhaps that explains their popularity as stage guitars.

Bottom line, if you can find one, get it!

Will

Took your advice... After reading and lusting after this thing for so long, I found a place in Nashville (Corner Music) great guys, I worked with Billy Jackson. Anyway; got this TF430SS and really dig it. Need to add an strap pin to the neck tho..? Also would love to buff out that satin finish to a little shine because it makes a strange rubbing sound when my hand runs across it. Other than that... Purely a great axe... My action was way low when it arrived, probably need a little humidity and it'll settle perfectly. Super Nice sound unplugged. I haven't even tried the Cool Tube yet. Also sounds like the top could open up a bit... Perhaps after I beat on it for a year or so
'06 Martin OMC-15E
1999 Taylor 514-CE-AB 25th Anni
1989 Guild D-40
1987 Guild JF30-12 BLACK
2007 Eastman T184MX Classic
2009 Schecter Tempest Blackjack
1995 AmFender Tele - 60th Ann RW Neck SD pups
1991 Gibson 40th Anniversary Les Paul
Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Awesome! Congrats on finding a TF430SS. I knew you'd like it as much as I do. I still haven't added a strap button to mine. I also considered polishing the top but haven't because it's pretty much finger print resistant as is. I did finally settled on a thin, beveled, flat black Taylor-style pick guard I got made to order by Terrapin. It should help to protect the beautiful cedar top and I think it looks classy in an understated way. John does first rate work and he's a heck of a nice guy to boot.

Best,
Will
Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmiller View Post
Awesome! Congrats on finding a TF430SS. I knew you'd like it as much as I do. I still haven't added a strap button to mine. I also considered polishing the top but haven't because it's pretty much finger print resistant as is. I did finally settled on a thin, beveled, flat black Taylor-style pick guard I got made to order by Terrapin. It should help to protect the beautiful cedar top and I think it looks classy in an understated way. John does first rate work and he's a heck of a nice guy to boot.

Best,
Will
Thanks Will... Can you shoot me a pic with the pick guard???
I'm looking to either put a guard on or polish because the satin makes
an audible sound from my hand whenever it touches the top.
Also hit me the specs on the 'Made to order Terrapin pick guard'
I may simply emulate your work if ya don't mind!
'06 Martin OMC-15E
1999 Taylor 514-CE-AB 25th Anni
1989 Guild D-40
1987 Guild JF30-12 BLACK
2007 Eastman T184MX Classic
2009 Schecter Tempest Blackjack
1995 AmFender Tele - 60th Ann RW Neck SD pups
1991 Gibson 40th Anniversary Les Paul
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Sure, glad to help. Check your email....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion