The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 PM

Default real hard time doing bar chords (im a beginner )

Any suggestions on how to get better at them? First finger doesn't want to comply.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 PM

If its just to build confidence that barres are possible then you can tune your guitar down half a step or capo around the 2nd, 3rd fret and try barres around the 5th fret instead of an F in standard tuning
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Get the action set low,getting it set up properly will do wonders for playability and barre chords.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Practice and building up your strength will help. I've been playing since 1964 and barre chords are getting harder for me to play because of arthritis.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Geezer guys that's all way above my head. Maybe I'm mistaken what a bar chord is. Its where you use your first finger to press multiple strings right?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 PM

This might be helpful....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeEUDoMIwDA
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 PM

That helped explain the reason for bar chords so thanks. Didn't explain a way to make it easier to press multiple strings with first. finger easier or a way to get good at it.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 AM

i would alternate between putting your first finger down to barre the strings then making the shape, and making the shape first then fretting the barre. Thats how i did it, it all kinda just came together after awhile
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
That helped explain the reason for bar chords so thanks. Didn't explain a way to make it easier to press multiple strings with first. finger easier or a way to get good at it.
The way to get good/better at doing anything is through practice and experimentation. I don't think there is any magical or secret solution. Everyone who wants it bad enough has paid their dues.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

It takes practice and repetition to develop the coordination and strength. I found when I learned that I just had to make up my mind I was going to use barre chords -- sort of draw a line in the sand -- and it took about a month before they started sounding very good. Like most things guitar, you have to want it pretty badly.

Regards, Glenn
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 AM

Here's my advice based on the common mistakes I witness when watching beginners.

- Make sure your thumb is behind the neck and not wrapped around it;
- Your index must lay flat and strong so that every string rings clear;
- Your other fingers must be arched so that only the tip touches the string.

Instead of hitting the chord over and over, I recommend that you position your fingers and then play each string individually. When a string doesn't ring clearly, move your fingers and try again. And again. And again.

Try for maybe 30 hours and keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 AM

Make the tough chords a part of your daily practice. Start in the open position and strum a chord on each fret, going up the neck to your highest useable fret, and then step back down to the open position. A good chord sequence is barre C, then A, then G, then E, and then D. (Find out more about the CAGED chords) The hardest ones will be C and G. E was the first I could do well all the way up the neck. In playing you will often use easier versions of these chords, but it's a great exercise, and sometimes the full barre chord adds to the music. Try to make every string sing. If you do that once a day for a month you will begin to notice an improvement. This will probably take less than 15 minutes, so you can do whatever else you do to learn guitar. It's like everything else involving motor skills - repetition is the key.

Barre chords are almost always easier on an electric than acoustic, and on nylon than steel. However, just as well learn it on what you enjoy playing. I've heard that it takes a 1000 times to learn to do something, and 10,000 to do it well. I'm not sure when it becomes easier, but it's somewhere after the 1,000. Some barre chords are just too hard for anyone but those with extraordinary skills.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 AM

What kind of guitar are you playing? Brand? Model? Age?

Too often, a beginner such as yourself will be trying to learn on a guitar which has not been properly set up. With a properly adjusted action, barre chords are difficult for a beginner. If the action is too high, barre chords are really really tough to do.

Here's a simple test: Play an F barre chord. Put a capo on fret 2. Play an F barre chord. If it's easier, your string height at the nut needs to be lowered.

And, as many have mentioned, keep at it.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

i never got strong enough to easily do barre chords till i got my action lowered and started using lighter strings. i suggest you try both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion