The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2003, 05:54 AM

Default Advantages of redwood top?

I've read a lot about the differences between spruce and cedar tops, but what's the story with redwood tops? Are they better for strumming or fingerpicking? What's the difference in tone?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:19 AM

Very similar to cedar, maybe a little richer sounding in the bass. I would definately call this a fingerstyle tonewood. There's a brief discussion of the major tonewoods on the Goodall site:

http://www.goodallguitars.com/topwoods.htm

...but you need to keep in mind that Goodalls are voiced entirely differently than Taylors, and his recommendations for "light strings only" with certain woods need to be taken in the context of the specific guitars he builds.

Hope this helps,

Kent
Old 02-12-2003, 09:29 AM

Redwood might match your deck! You'll look good with a matching guitar and deck.

~S
Old 02-12-2003, 10:09 AM

Redwood can make a great guitar top, but my understanding is that it is also a much more delicate material than spruce. You would definitely need to minimize stress on the top, lighter strings and a consistent environment.

Cedar might be a better top wood for creating a more durable instrument, with similar tonal qualities to the Redwood. Check out leachguitars.com to see some interesting Redwood guitars.

Lance

========================
If you can't sing GOOD...sing LOUD!
========================
2000 712ce * 1978 HD-28 * 1975 D-28S * 2001 00028C-SMH * 1990 DC-28 * 1970 D-28 * 1997 HD-28 * 1997 000012-28HAG
Old 02-12-2003, 10:33 AM

I think it really depends on the specific set of wood that determines the sound and strength (as with any tonewood). For example, a 12-string needs a stiff, strong top. While talking to BT about my PS-10, I wanted to make sure to get a stiff set, not only for strength, but I wanted the guitar to project.

The resulting guitar is simply amazing. And I haven't been able to overdrive the top, not even close. It seems to have much more headroom.

As for Goodalls and medium gauge strings ... I haven't seen the need to try mediums on any of mine. They're plenty loud and full-sounding with light gauge.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:47 AM

My understanding of redwood is that it falls somewhere between spruce and cedar in stiffness and warmth. As I mentioned on another thread, it's a popular wood for hammered dulcimer soundboards, and though it dings fairly easily, it holds up well over time.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:46 PM

buddiesorg ~

While looking at the pics of your new guitar stand, I also checked out your 2002 PS-10. It looks fantastic! I would be curious to know your thoughts on something. I have a 2001 Braz. PS-10 (Sunburst) that I really love... how would you compare the sound of yours with the Redwood / Koa combo to the Englemann / Brazilian combo? Did you do an A/B type of comparision before you ordered yours? Just curious, as I have never seen that particular combination of woods before. It looks fantastic... and I'm quite sure it must sound that way also...
Old 02-12-2003, 04:18 PM

Taylorplayer,

I'm curious if you may have compared your 2001 PS10 to any new revoiced dreads and what you found.

I have a 2001 910 Brazilian Tobacco Sunburst that really has a warm full sound even without the new bracing, but then I have not sat down with a new 910...yet.

I really like a full bass, but I could never give up my one-of-kind 910 from 2001. My dealer ordered it special without electronics or a cutaway, and with the sunburst, so it's kinda special in it's own way. Only one made that way in 2001.

---------------

About redwood tops, they are also used a good bit on classical guitars.

Toodles,
-grm
Old 02-12-2003, 04:44 PM

gmccall ~

Yes, I have played a few of the new re-voiced dreads. I can say that they do sound louder than the previous ones... but I really wouldn't say I think they sound better . I realize that tone is a very subjective thing... but I wouldn't trade my 2001 PS-10 in on a new one (even if it wouldn't cost me anything). I happen to really like the way the "older" Taylor's sounded. That's not to take any thing away from the newer models, as I know that many folks are very happy with them. I am glad, however, that my PS-10 was made before that change was made.

Thanks for asking!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:30 PM

I didn't compare it to anything until I came home. Basically, this guitar was a trade for a PS-14 (koa/Engelmann) as I wanted more warmth. I decided not to go with a GA as I wanted a guitar that was specifically braced for medium gauge strings. I figured the new dreadnought might be a better choice than a jumbo, though I really don't know.

At home, I mainly played it against the PS-14 and liked what I heard (though I also decided I liked the GA as well), especially since the top is pretty tight since it's still new. I did play it at the same time as my GA-BE and PS-15, though I really didn't compare them since they're at opposite sides of the spectrum.

It is similar to koa/cedar, but has quite a bit more power behind it. Warm, but very focused. Deep, resonant bass, but not the same as the bass of rosewood. All I can say is BT chose a wonderful set of wood for this guitar.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 PM

Quote:
It is similar to koa/cedar, but has quite a bit more power behind it. Warm, but very focused. Deep, resonant bass, but not the same as the bass of rosewood. All I can say is BT chose a wonderful set of wood for this guitar.

buddiesorg ~

Thanks for your reply. The particular PS-10 you have certainly sounds like it is a wonderful guitar!! I was quite interested in hearing your comments about it... so, thanks again.

Bill T.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:14 AM

Do redwood tops need time to open up like spruce tops do?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:44 AM

I don't know how long it would take, but at least in my head, I think the sound is tight and needs to open up. This is my first long-term experience with redwood (and I haven't played that many redwood guitars ... I think 5 total), so let's just say I'm looking forward to the relationship.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:11 PM

I've played TBondos (beeeeeutiful) Redwood/Rosewood geetar. It is one of the most interesting things I've ever played. Very sweet sound/tone. If there's ever a TS-03, I'll be lookin to get a Rosewood top for myself!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion