The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Amazing J45

Took my CJ165 with me to the guitar store yesterday for a slight settup/tune up. While I was there of course I HAD to check out the new arivals in the lock up room. Played several high end Martins and some Gibsons including a J45 and a vintage burst Songwriter Deluxe. Best guitar in the entire room was the J45 hands down. Talk about vintage Gibson tone and bass to die for. Crystal clear highs and the guitar just felt alive. Very light weight build too. Almost came home with it and the only thing that saved me was I went back up front and grabbed my CJ to take it in the lockup room so I could compare it to the J45. The J45 was just incredible and when I compared the two my CJ was just as incredible. THe J45 hedged the CJ out only in bass. Overall both guitars sounded quite alike except for the bass of the bigger sized J45. A friend of mine works there and he came in the room with me to listen to the two guitars compared and he said that they both sounded wonderful and he couldn't believe the tone coming out of that little CJ 165. I said all of that to say this, if anybody out there is looking for a truly incredible J45 PM me for details and I'll tell you where it's located. Had my CJ not compared so closely in tone I would have no doubt brought that J45 home. You sometimes have to look long and hard to find an incredible Gibson.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Trying out guitars can be dangerous! I had a similar "wow" experiencenot so long ago with a used Gibson Blues King in GC. I haven't had much opportunity to try out J45s but a point in their favour, as far as I'm concerned, is that this a dread with the more comfortable shorter scale neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion