The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 AM

Default What to do with a seller who's not responding after buyer paid up?

Hi:
Not sure if anyone has asked such a grave question but thought I'd raise this and hopefully collective wisdom will help us all in this forum....

What would you advise if a seller on AGF after having accepted payment via Paypal does not carry out his end of the deal to ship out the guitar at agreed price? (Personally I'm okay if seller changes his mind and wants to keep his guitar and return the money) What recourse can one take besides taking up with Paypal about it?

Would you agree to posting his name (or username) in this AGF help deter such person (at least prevent others from buying from him/her)? This could serve as a blacklisting, don't you think? What alternative or suggestions would help deter (can't prevent entirely but at least deter) would-be con?

I'm sure there are many experienced folks in this AGF that will offer some good solutions or ideas.

Mcilroy A25
Yamaha LL-16 12 Strings
Yamala LL-TA
Headway HD113 STD
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT (classical)

Last edited by alvinjismyl; 06-28-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: rephrase heading
Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Similar situations have come up before.
The forum will not allow you to post names.

If folks want to, they can send you a PM asking you for this persons name.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 AM

Give him/her a reasonable amount to time to allow for packing and shipping. Then allow another couple of days just to be sure. Then demand that he/she issue an immediate and full refund.

If no response, then go directly to PayPal. That's why we use them in the first place. PayPal will pursue getting your money back if the item never shipped. Generally speaking PayPal errs on taking the side of wronged buyers more than they do wronged sellers. Let them earn their fee in this case.

As Jeff said, this forum specifically and strongly prohibits any airing of Classifieds grievances. Some people try to get around that rule by hinting around as to the person's identity. Please don't do that either. Keep it between you, the seller and PayPal.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-28-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Give him/her a reasonable amount to time to allow for packing and shipping. Then allow another couple of days just to be sure. Then demand that he/she issue an immediate and full refund.

If no response, then go directly to PayPal. That's why we use them in the first place. PayPal will pursue getting your money back if the item never shipped. Generally speaking PayPal errs on taking the side of wronged buyers more than they do wronged sellers. Let them earn their fee in this case.

As Jeff said, this forum specifically and strongly prohibits any airing of Classifieds grievances. Some people try to get around that rule by hinting around as to the person's identity. Please don't do that either. Keep it between you, the seller and PayPal.
i dont believe that paypal will do anything for a sale here/ ebay yes but not a private sales.[i could be wrong]
Old 06-28-2009, 04:28 AM

If not PayPal, then file a dispute with your credit card company. But I'm pretty sure PayPal wants you to dispute the transaction there first.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 AM

If it came down to no resolution between the seller, I would at this time hope that I paid with a credit card....since I always do, I would be relieved....i would then bypass paypal, and charge back the money through Amex (or whatever card you use)....Paypal would not prefer this method, but they have about 6 billion policies I do not prefer so I figure it is a wash.......If they buyer can not provid confirmation of the guitar deliver at your address, you are 100% going to win....in fact, you willl nearly always win the chargebak regardless of the circumstances...(not fair to the seller, but don't get me started )

anyways, charge that sucker back, and let paypal deal with the seller....

Hope everything works out for you...I know this was raised as a 'hypothetical' situation...but me thinks this may be real...hope you get resolution that is favorable.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:51 AM

Forum rules prevent naming names but definitely file a complaint with Paypal and your credit card company. Let the seller know of your intent if you do not receive your goods within a specified time.

If others want to know the name of the seller, there's nothing preventing you from personally emailing them.

Good Luck,

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
anyways, charge that sucker back, and let paypal deal with the seller....
+1 to this solution.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 AM

I had a similar problem a few years ago with an item. I contacted the CC company. Just had to fill out some simple paperwork. I got my money back - and he lost his.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
i dont believe that paypal will do anything for a sale here/ ebay yes but not a private sales.[i could be wrong]
On PayPal, in ones "account" page there is a "resolution" tab. In that tab one can follow steps to file a claim for several different issues, such as "did not receive item". There is also a tutorial to learn about filing claims. Perhaps this will help. Using your credit card company is also a good solution.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM

How long ago was the item paid for?

Have you been in regular contact since? (both ways)

Has the seller responded and provided any reasons for the delay?

Have you yet suggested that he/she might prefer to return your money if they've decided against selling after all?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Default My PM Inbox full

Hi folks:
Thanks so much for your input. Sorry for this short reply as I've been terribly busy and tired today but will update asap. My PM inbox reached its quota in relative short time, so pls email instead for now.

Mcilroy A25
Yamaha LL-16 12 Strings
Yamala LL-TA
Headway HD113 STD
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT (classical)

Last edited by alvinjismyl; 06-28-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinjismyl View Post
What would you advise if a seller on AGF after having accepted payment via Paypal does not carry out his end of the deal to ship out the guitar at agreed price?
What do you mean by "at the agreed price"...do you mean you haven't heard from him? Or you have heard from him, but he's changing the deal on you? Is he still posting?...there is always the possibility of some family emergency that has kept him occupied. If I hadn't heard from a seller for a day or two, I would personally take steps to recover my money. It could still be legit, but my deal is that if a seller is irresponsible with prompt communication after payment (the most critical time for a buyer), that's not a good omen for how the rest of the transaction will go down.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I always thought Paypal only covers ebay listings.

- Cornerstone Zion - German Spruce/Sinker Redwood Double Top with Madagascar Rosewood B/S and Koa Bevel/Binding

Incoming:
- MichaudMade OM-R Flamed Brazillian R/W & Euro Spruce
Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Paypal resolved a similar issue for me. It was for something that I bought from a guy's website, not AGF and not ebay. They should get to the bottom of it.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion