The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Shipped my GS5e to Jim

I just dropped it off. Very sad, it was like saying goodbye to a friend. Great tone, great bass. It looked and even smelled beautiful.

I made the right decision. I can practice almost twice as much with the
GC6 without getting tired. That is what is most important to me. I hope to get one again someday if I can ever play mediums.

Who doesn't want there cake and eat it too?

Jim should have it Thursday or Friday, if anyone is looking at the GS5. You can't find a better guy to deal with.

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM

I'm doing the same exact thing. Jim's sending me a brand new DN8 and I'll be swapping my GS Maple for it. I was pondering a GC6 since I liked the maple so much, but I played one at GC and thought it was too bright. I wish the GS was just a bit more comfortabe for the vertically challenged players, lol
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHulkster View Post
I'm doing the same exact thing. Jim's sending me a brand new DN8 and I'll be swapping my GS Maple for it. I was pondering a GC6 since I liked the maple so much, but I played one at GC and thought it was too bright. I wish the GS was just a bit more comfortabe for the vertically challenged players, lol
Let us know what you think of the DN8 when you get it. Have not played one, and I wonder how they compare to an 810.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 06-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
My GC6 was a bit much when I first got. Yesterday I gave it a make over. I changed the strings, put in a bone saddle and adjusted the neck. It sounds like maple but sweet, more civilized. I am happy now.

I'll bet that DN will be nice. Let us know and don't forget the pics.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Hey, Lou,

I don't know if it's just a slightly warped perception or mine or not, but I think maple guitars are particularly influenced by strings. I mean *all* guitars are, of course. But I have noticed the biggest swings in my own enjoyment with maple, specifically. And, it isn't just one type of string that I like on different maple guitars... My Taylor 655 just absolutely sounds right to me with Elixir 80/20s. My Ibanez 6 string dread sounds completely dead unless I use D'Addario phosphor bronze... And, I'm still experimenting around with my Guild jumbo 12 (JF-30-12)... Lately, I've also been trying out Thomastik Spectrum strings on a couple of my 6 strings (which are 80/20 wound with a silk collar.... most interesting).

Enjoy the hunt. Keep trying out new strings.

[edit: p.s./ oh, and give each set a few hours of play time too before making a judgement]
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)

Last edited by Chazmo; 06-27-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: play in
Old 06-28-2009, 02:10 AM

Default Lou...

I have said goodbye to some treasured friends over the years. It is always my hope that the guitar will go to a place where it will be played and well taken care of...

You made an investment in yourself with the GC6. If I do not like the guitar that I am playing (or even if I do like the guitar and cannot play it due to other factors), then I won't practice - and that leads to a lot of frustration for me.

Good luck to you!

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

Last edited by Idaho John; 10-03-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
Hey, Lou,

I don't know if it's just a slightly warped perception or mine or not, but I think maple guitars are particularly influenced by strings. I mean *all* guitars are, of course. But I have noticed the biggest swings in my own enjoyment with maple, specifically. And, it isn't just one type of string that I like on different maple guitars... My Taylor 655 just absolutely sounds right to me with Elixir 80/20s. My Ibanez 6 string dread sounds completely dead unless I use D'Addario phosphor bronze... And, I'm still experimenting around with my Guild jumbo 12 (JF-30-12)... Lately, I've also been trying out Thomastik Spectrum strings on a couple of my 6 strings (which are 80/20 wound with a silk collar.... most interesting).

Enjoy the hunt. Keep trying out new strings.

[edit: p.s./ oh, and give each set a few hours of play time too before making a judgement]
Thanks Chazmo

I sure found this to be true in my short experience with my guitars (3 I have owned).

Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho John View Post
I have said goodbye to some treasured friends over the years. It is always my hope that the guitar will go to a place where it will be played and well taken care of...

You made an inventment in yourself with the GC6. If I do not like the guitar that I am playing (or even if I do like the guitar and cannot play it due to other factors), then I won't practice - and that leads to a lot of frustration for me.

Good luck to you!
Thanks John

I just took a peak at your profile under interests. If you are ever in Columbia SC check this place out. He is famous for his peach cobler. Chef Fatback would probably ship you one.

http://www.macsjazznblues.com/home.asp

Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou777 View Post
I just dropped it off. Very sad, it was like saying goodbye to a friend. Great tone, great bass. It looked and even smelled beautiful.

Jim should have it Thursday or Friday, if anyone is looking at the GS5. You can't find a better guy to deal with.
I just sent Jim an e-mail. I am looking at getting a DN5, GS5 of GS8. We shall see.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke

Last edited by IPlay2; 06-29-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Can't spell!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou777 View Post
If you are ever in Columbia SC check this place out. He is famous for his peach cobler. Chef Fatback would probably ship you one.

http://www.macsjazznblues.com/home.asp
I've lived here all my life and never heard of Mac's. Maybe they're one of the new places that have been opening in that part of town the last several years.

Next time my jazz-loving nephew is in town I'll take him there for some tunes and cobbler. Maybe a ribeye and okra, too.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, please excuse my ignorance, but who is Jim, is he a mutual acquaintance, or a dealer? If he is a dealer, where does he operate, and what are the conditions through which you were able to swap guitars with him? – Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info lofapco! I've recently purchased a GS7-RC, and I'm not entirely happy with it's plugged-in sound (the ES). I still love the guitar unplugged, and am trying to work my issues out, but it is nice to know that there's an option to trade for another model w/o the ES to have a different pick-up put in.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I've lived here all my life and never heard of Mac's. Maybe they're one of the new places that have been opening in that part of town the last several years.

Next time my jazz-loving nephew is in town I'll take him there for some tunes and cobbler. Maybe a ribeye and okra, too.
It is on main street in the area of the museum of art, on the opposite side of the street. It's a small place, not glitzy at, all but good southern home cooking. Make sure you are up on your cholesterol meds.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post

I assume that is what Lou was doing. Trading one purchase in within the right amount of time and upgrading.
No, I found the GS5e on my own but, that's what I will be doing next week...uh I mean next, next time

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion