The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Default I like 'em all

I read folks who say they can't stand the sound of a Taylor or a Martin or a Larrivee or a Gibson or whatever. Maybe I'm just not discerning, but I like them all.

If a guitar has a full sound, is well built, and plays well, I'm happy. And I appreciate what different builders bring to the table. There is just something about a good acoustic guitar that thrills deep inside.

Now, Estebans and Zagers . . .

Bill
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I read folks who say they can't stand the sound of a Taylor or a Martin or a Larrivee or a Gibson or whatever. Maybe I'm just not discerning, but I like them all.

If a guitar has a full sound, is well built, and plays well, I'm happy. And I appreciate what different builders bring to the table. There is just something about a good acoustic guitar that thrills deep inside.

Bill
I like them all but since my budget is limited, I need to draw harsher lines. In the end, there is only a fine line between junk and not good enough. (grin)

Ed
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Bill, I feel exactly the same way. I'm a tough customer when it comes to tone, but I keep an open mind.

Diversity is a good thing, as we all know that one size most surely does *not* fit all in the guitar world.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 06-27-2009, 11:40 AM

I can't see myself owning a guitar that wasn't made in the US, but any guitar that inspires someone to play it is a good guitar in my book.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post

Bill
This is pretty much how I feel about it too. Like you, I sometimes wonder if I'm just not discerning enough, but, given the huge amount of variety in makes, models and between individual guitars even of the same make and model, I think there's something to fit every taste there is, and that's pretty cool. It's one of the things I love about guitars in general, and why discussions of what's "better" often make little sense to me.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Gotta be honest, I do not like them all.

I like vintage voiced guitars and do not care for modern voiced guitars, that's what me ears tell me, to each his own. I have played the very top end of some modern voiced guitars, in the $10-15K range, they just don't have the sound I want, and I'm sure there are folks who don't like vintage voiced guitars, that's fine too............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-27-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm having trouble deciding. Please send your guitars to me, and in a few months, or years maybe, I'll let you know what I think.

I find that my ears adjust to a different tone more readily than my hand adjusts to a different feel, especially when it comes to neck profile and string spacing.

cotten
Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Guitar forum members not having brand preferences is so cliche
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
Guitar forum members not having brand preferences is so cliche
that's funny, i was just thinking the opposite; that i don't understand how people can have only one brand of guitar. i have gibson, taylor, martin and fender. they all have their place. it just boils down to individual preference.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
Bill, I feel exactly the same way. I'm a tough customer when it comes to tone, but I keep an open mind.

Diversity is a good thing, as we all know that one size most surely does *not* fit all in the guitar world.
I agree and I also like those Ibanez's AW's you own. They are great guitars and well kept secrets.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I can **afford** them all or afford to have them all.

And Rich, I like honest people who say what they think, whether or not they agree with me!

Bill
Old 06-27-2009, 12:17 PM

If by "them all" you mean all brands, then with few exceptions I probably agree with you. Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Larrivee, Guild you name it they all make guitars that I'd enjoy owning and playing.

But at that same time, for a relative beginner at all this I sure have become super-picky (let's say "discerning") about specific instruments. Every one of those makers has built guitars that I wouldn't take home if you sold it to me for twenty-five bucks. And the typical store I've visited is just chock full of guitar that as far as I can tell would be ridiculously poor choices.

But no, I can't draw a line around groups of brands and say that The Gibson Sound does nothing for me, ever or that all Taylors sound tinny or anything like that. There is a bunch of different tones that I enjoy.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM

I agree as well. There are a ton of great sounding guitars to be had in nearly all price ranges. Granted that is not to say that I don't prefer some over others. While I have my favs I appreciate and enjoy playing the others too.

Hey, I wouldn't mind owning 1 of each......
Old 06-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
that's funny, i was just thinking the opposite; that i don't understand how people can have only one brand of guitar. i have gibson, taylor, martin and fender. they all have their place. it just boils down to individual preference.
Well it sounds like you reinforced what I said. btw, 'preferences' was plural, I wasn't referring to anyone having one brand.

It's become almost 'politically correct' on the forums to say you like every brand.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I like vintage voiced guitars and do not care for modern voiced guitars, that's what me ears tell me, to each his own.
Does that apply mainly to your own playing, or to the playing of others, as well?

When *I* play (or attempt to play), I really don't like most "vintage voiced" guitars . . I much prefer a modern voice.

However, when others play vintage-voiced guitars, I don't mind at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion