The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 AM

Default Guide me to my first 12-string...

Hi folks.

I want a 12-string. To date, I've never even picked one up, so it'll be a completely new experience for me, but I love the sound and I've decided that I want to get more serious about my music and start recording, and that sound would fit with what I want to achieve (once I learn how to use the thing).

Now, given that I don't do this for a living, and taking into account the fact that I have two young children (2.5 years and 1 month), anything very expensive or fragile will likely end up either permanently locked away or possibly getting damaged. So, I've set a notional budget of around £250 all-in, and for this I want a solid, balanced and pretty 12-string which will hold its value (so, used is best) in case I should decide it's not for me, or perhaps decide to progress to something further up the ladder.

I've posted this last bit on the Classifieds forum, but bear with me - I want to go a bit further into detail here.

I've spent time looking at Ebay and local classified sites, plus scouring the web for nuggets of wisdom. However, I don't think I have asked here (or if I did it was a while back!). There are many, many 12-strings - some look quite pretty and, on paper at least, seem to fit the bill. However, it's all about the playing but in terms of used guitars and my budget, I can't really travel far to see any, so in a sense I'll be taking a gamble.

Guitars I'm half-considering include:
  • Cort - I have a 6-string and for its low price it continues to impress, so I'm considering a Cort MR 710F which I think I could get for under £200 with case;
  • Tanglewood - I see a few around and I wonder if they're good for the money - again, under £200 should get me something in good nick;
  • Eko Ranger - these seem quite common, and sometimes appear in 'project' condition, which doesn't frighten me *too* much provided it's only minor things. Aesthetically the headstock seems huge to me, though!
  • Simon & Patrick - perhaps the top end of my budget, but they do crop up with reasonable regularity and they look quite good. I believe they're quite well made, but I am not certain...

...and of course there are hundreds of 'unknown' brands to me - Crafter, Norman, etc. etc. Actually, there's a Crafter available in my town but I haven't had a chance to look at it, but I'm concerned that they may not be up to the job and might be money wasted, even if it falls well within my budget.

What I'd like to get is recommendations/links/advice on others to search for - there's no real rush on my part and I can wait for the right guitar to come along, but I need to know what is good to look out for...

Thanks,

John
Old 06-27-2009, 04:33 AM

Look at the Crafter in your town, they are very good. I also like the Yamaha FG-720S-12
Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 AM
I never finish anythi

Default Tanglewood

I was in exactly the same boat as you about a month ago. I had never even tried a twelve string but really fancied one. I looked around on e-bay and managed to find a used Tanglewood (solid top, laminated sides) for around half your target price. It needed a bridge rest (Which cost me £40).

Even after repair I save a couple of hundred off list price. Its actually a real nice guitar. I am really happy with it.

As you said, there are a few brands availiable in your price range, there were quite a few to choose from on e-bay when I was looking.

good luck

James

Martin 000c16GTE
Avalon Gold series S200
Old 06-27-2009, 05:57 AM

By name, the one I'd consider over the others would be the S&P. But, the one that sounded and felt best when I tried it would trump anything.

One thing I'd say is to plan a few pounds for setup work. A good setup can really make a HUGE difference. The less playable a guitar is, the more it'll sit in it's case.

Ed
Old 06-27-2009, 09:58 AM

John, I know I'm predictable in my responses to this question, but my advice is to find an old Guild 12-string, maybe an F-212, to start the quest off for you. While I've heard pretty good things about Crafters, I have yet to find anything off the rack that wins my heart like the standard Guilds.

I would not steer you toward a Guild GAD version though unless it's the GADJF3012.

Best wishes in the hunt. Honestly, the best guide is your ears so picking one at random is very difficult and likely unsatisfactory in the long run.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 AM
happiness

Glad to hear the Cort is still going strong, I think it's an incredible guitar for the price

I used to have an old Eko 6 string, no specific experience with the 12 strings, but one thing I can tell you is that those old Ekos are build like tanks. If you're looking for something indestructible, that would be a great choice. Also, they are very readily available and you'd probably be able to get your money back when/if you come to re-sell. On the other hand they are very heavy, so if that would bug you, you might want to give it a miss.

Crafters can be really nice, so I'd definitely recommend trying that one out if you can.

Simon and Patrick and Tanglewood both make good guitars too - from my experience of both brands, I'd pick Tanglewood, the ones I've played hav seemed more responsive.

I'll also second the recommendation for a good set-up for whatever you choose.

Good luck with the search and please let us know what you get

Fliss
Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 AM

If you can find them used, I would also look at Martin X, 1 or 15 series, Ovations and Takamines. Some may be a stretch for your budget, but in these economic times who knows what might be found and at what price. I just did a quick eBay search and there are several of each brand in your price range. Granted you may not be in the US since your budget is expressed in pounds and not dollars, but you may find similar search results in the UK or Europe.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:35 PM

I've owned a EKO Ranger XII since about 1968. It's been a great guitar whose tone and playabilty have stood up to more expensive guitars. People either love them or hate them but I wouldn't have kept mine this long if it wasn't a good guitar. And, yes, they are built like tanks and will put your leg to sleep if you sit with it on your lap for too long. If you can see it and play it before buying, you could get you a nice guitar well within your budget.

I have nothing against modern models, either. Alvarez has some nice, lower-end models. I believe Guild does too.

You might run across used deals on Martins that are close to your budget. Look for models like the DM12, the D12-1 and one I'd like to get my hands on myself, a J12-15. -- There's also a newer low-end called a D12X1 that you might run across used. It is a combination of mahogany and a high-pressure laminate material that has a good sound.

I hope you find a 12-string you can love. At this time I own five. I'd feel lost without a 12-string guitar to reach for.

Bill
Old 06-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi John,

I can't say much about the other brands you mentioned, but I own a S&P 12 string. I'm a real fan of Godin guitars in general. But I think in that price range there are more playable 12 strings than the S&P. I have not checked out a Seagull 12 string, but I would check one out if I were in the market again. Also the S&P finish is known to be SUPER fragile. Mine got mystery dings in the finish within weeks of coming home -- my other guitars stand up to a lot more playing without a nick.

I agree with Chazmo that the GADJF3012 is a nice 12 string. You might find one used in your price range. I've liked all of the GADs that I've played, and I own GAD-40CE 6 string. I understand that vintage Guild owners are annoyed by the GAD series, but they are nice guitars for the money, better than many others in their price range IMHO. (Then again, I'm not good enough to be all that particular.) If Fender continues to raise the prices on the GADs, they may not be such a great deal.

Best of luck to you,
Rob

Last edited by Fungus Kahn; 06-27-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Without opening a huge can of worms, best ignored. . .

The GADs are Chinese built under Guild standards (and seem to wind-up some ethnocentric Guild members).

They are superb quality for money, made of good materials, well put together and sound great.

I would love a US-built Guild, but having bought the Martin, those Guilds are just too expensive for my budget. So I bought GAD and have been delighted.

Inevitably the prices are going up, but my GAD 12 string is really good value considering its specification.

They are available in several 'flavours' all over UK.

Good luck with the search, what a great position to be in isn't it? Quite exciting, so have fun. I'm sure, whatever you choose, you'll be happy. I was impressed when I looked that there weren't many 'rubbish' guitars out there if you're the slightest bit discerning.

Brian
Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 PM

OK, on the basis of how impressed I have been with my Cort 6-string, I have taken a chance on a Cort 12-string with solid spruce top and mahogany back/sides. Paid £xxx (rrp is around £xxx) as it's used, and I should have it by the end of the week.

I'd have loved to get something perhaps a little more 'vintage' but the Cort 6-string I have is so, so nice (and getting nicer by the day; it's difficult to see how it could improve, tonally at least, from where it is right now but it keeps on getting better) that I reckon they know how to build a great guitar for sensible bucks...

Will post more soon...

Last edited by rlouie; 06-30-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule....even £'s
Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 PM

Seems no one mentioned the Yamahas. Last year i had the same sudden wish, i never had a 12 strings before but loved the sound when i listened to some songs especially by Genesis. So went to a shop and found the only one was a near mint Yamaha FG 413-S-12; i tried it and i liked very much the neck and the playability, considering that it is the main issue of a 12 stringed and despite the very poor quality of the onboard strings. I changed immediately the strings and as expected the guitar went even more better!
I payed about 200 euros for it, really very convenient.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 AM

Default Yamaha

As a value for money guitar, you can't really go far wrong with a Yamaha.

They also last a long time as evidenced by the numbers of 1960/70s Yamahas up for sale as vintage instruments.

I don't think I will part with my 6 string. The Yamaha 12 strings I have played have been really nice too.

Personally, even though it was more expensive, I will stick with my GAD G212.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 AM

Also consider Seagull. I owned a Seagull 12 string and it was a great guitar for the money.
Pedals: Swart Fuzzy & Atomic Boost, Mad Professor DBD, Boss RC-3
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Just wanted to clarify that I've got a 12-string now, so thanks to all suggestions. I should have it by Thursday of this week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion