The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2003, 08:47 PM

Question Suggestions/imput needed

Hi,
I have been lurking for a while, but decided to post to get some of your wisdom.

I own a Big Baby, and alas, I am getting a GAS attack and am thinking of getting a "real" guitar. (not that my BB doesn't blow the socks off of my 27 y/o yamaha and Epiphone PR350). Heck, truth of the matter is that I started to play guitar when I was 13 and I am now 42. I am thinking of going w/ something in the 300 or 400 series. I have always had dreds, but I am basically an old folkie - love that John Denver, JAmes TAylor, etc. and do mostly fingerpicking and some strumming. I rarely use picks. I don't want or need electronics.

Two Questions:

1: is the 300 or 400 a betterbuy for the money-- there doesn't seem to be much price difference between the two.

2. would a x10 or x14 be better for what I need.

Actually, I would love to have an 810, but that ain't gonna happen.

TIA for you help.

Pat
Old 01-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Pat....Welcome.
Just play the 3 and the 4 and let your own ear decide. As far as the 14 vs the 10...the 14 is generally considered the more fingerstyle friendly guitar but either will play just fine. I think it is more a matter of personal comfort with one body style or the other.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:17 PM

Welcome to the group Pat. I have a 314CE... it was my 1st Taylor, and I really like it. It's just the right size and price range to jump in on the higher end guitar market.

Mortimer

Making sense out of senselessness
Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 PM

Try as many 414s as possible, great all around Taylor, find one that you can't leave w/o taking it home. Or my bias opinion: try the 500 series (esp. the 514, best finger picker, lite struming Taylor made

Michael
Old 01-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Patti, once you decide which would be better for you , an x10 or x14 (or maybe even an x12), if an 8xx series guitar is what you'd REALLY dream of owning, is it possible that a used one could fit in your budget? TGF members post guitars for sale in the For sale/General Marketplace section of this forum, and you never know the kind of deal you may be able to get. Follow it for a while and see what comes up. Although a used guitar won't have the warranty (non-transferable), you'd be pretty sure of buying from a trusted member (as you hang-out here, you will see that there's a large and well-meaning group).

Just a thought.

Good luck in finding a guitar that brings out in you, the best music you can deliver!!!

Tom
Old 01-19-2003, 10:57 PM

Good luck, You and I are in the same boat. I hope to get my first Taylor very soon. Actually this year I want a x15 and the John Denver Signature.

Since it sounds like you like to play what I like, you should try a 315 or 415. I really like the way some of the Denver tunes sound on these jumbos. It is incredible. Thats what John liked to play.

Look around, go to several dealers and let your ears decide. It is alot of fun!
Old 01-19-2003, 11:00 PM

The 300-series is perhaps the best guitar-for-the-dollar out there. I think they play and sound every bit as good as their higher-numbered siblings. The 400-series is the next best value, by the way. Either way you can't go wrong. Listen to both, look at both (there are big differences cosmetically), and try both body shapes in both series, and your decision may become clearer. And if it doesn't--if you find that you like ALL of them--well, let's just say you'll fit right in with the rest of us!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 01-19-2003, 11:03 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Welcome Patti Jean !! This is a wonderful community we have here and I'm glad you joined us. According to what i'm reading I think a 312 or a 412 would suit your needs the best. A 314 or 414 are wonderful guitars but they are nearly as large as a Dreadnought so are a bit large. A Grand Concert is intimate for fingerstyle yet handles strumming quite well, especially since you're like me in that you don't really use a pick. I never do. So there you have it and yes play some of them and let your ears and heart choose. One bit of advice. I don't know anyone here on the Forum who have regretted getting a higher model Taylor...but know many who have said.."with a bit more effort, I could've gotten a higher model !" So keep that in mind, although every Taylor is magnificent !!!

Ron
Old 01-19-2003, 11:04 PM

Welcome to the family, Patti Jean!

The difference between the 300's and 400's is a little different tone from the sapele and ovankol back and sides. They both sound great, but a bit different. Cosmetically, the 300's have the black binding, the 400's the white, and the back/side woods are different, of course. You're right, there's not a huge difference - both sound fabulous.

The GA x14's, with their light strings and lighter bracing, make them more responsive to finger picking, while still handling strumming quite well. I find them more comfortable to hold while seated. The Dread x10's, with their medium strings and heavier bracing tend to have a little more bass response, but not usually too dramatic. I would guess that most people who play x10's tend to strum or flatpick more than fingerpick.

My preference, if I were in your position, would probably be the 414, though I agree that if it's an 814 you really want, start saving. Why spend a bunch of money on something you consider to be less than what you wanted? Consider buying a "previously loved" guitar.

Or do what I did, saved and sacrificed for two years to get the Taylor of my dreams. I could have had a fine 314 or 414 much sooner, but I'm glad I waited until I could afford my beloved 914.

Don't be in too big of a hurry. Enjoy the hunt and the learning process. Play more Taylors, and as you do, your idea of what's best for you will come into focus. Be sure to let us enjoy the process with you. Glad you've joined us!

cotten
Old 01-20-2003, 07:19 AM

Hey Patty Jean,

I have to agree with Cisco. You should play a 312 or a 412. I have a 710 and a 312. The 312 is everybit the 710 it just has a more intimate feel and a different sound. Yea, the 710 is purtier but both are great guitars. Since you never use picks I think you might find the x12 a wonderful fit.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I have tried a 310, 410, 510 and 810 at my local music store, but that was before I stared to do more research on body styles. They all were incredible guitars, everyone of them and they all sounded pretty durn good to me.

I'll have to go and see if he's got x12 andx14 models I can compare. The shop I get my stuff from is a mom and pop type place (though I've never seen mom), but Cliff keeps a good selection. I'm sure he'll have several to choose from. I live in rural WV, so there are not a whole lot of places to choose from in the way of music stores.--and I found that this guy will give me a better deal than the chain store down in the "Big City"

My main obstacle is getting over my puritan background that the mom is not supposed to indulge themself with something frivilious like a guitar.

I'll keep you all posted!

PAt
Old 01-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to add my two cents... I have a 914 and 512M, and both are really great for the things you say you like to play. Even so, I find the size of the x12's to really be more intimate for me, so it feels better when I'm playing, especially in live settings.

I'm an old dread player, too, and that's all I had up until 5 years ago (we're similar - I started at 18 and I'm 43 now). Personally, I'll never buy a dreadnaught again (a strictly personal preference, both in looks and in sound. There are lost of great dreadnaughts out there... just not for me). And I prefer the 400's over the 300's generally, but the ear is the rule. If you find a 300 that blows you away, get THAT guitar. In the end, it's all about the sound, how it feels when you hold it, regardless of series or model. That's where the value is, and what makes the purchase worthwhile.

Good luck!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 01-20-2003, 01:21 PM

I have to go with the folks who recommend the x14. It's the most versatile body in Taylor's lineup, walking that fine line between the robust quality of a dread and the sensitivity of an x12. As for size, it's true that the dread and x14 have the same outboard dimensions, but the GA's waist is considerably smaller, and that makes it feel a lot smaller than the dread.

You really can't go wrong with either a 314 or 414, but I think the 414 is one of the best individual guitars Taylor makes. To my ears, ovangkol produces a darker and more complex tone than sapele, and that makes the difference for me.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:48 PM

I had the same dilemma about a year ago. I'd go with an X14 model for your style. Both the 314 and 414 are great values if you're buying new. If I were you, I'd go the guitar shop, tell them that, with the right price, you are definitely going to buy one or the other. Then, have the dealer put a new set of strings (if necessary) on each model. Turn your head and close your eyes.

Have the dealer play a couple of the the same riffs and chords on each guitar and keep A/B'ing them mentally making a note (write it down if you must) of which sounds you liked. Then, sit down and close your eyes again, have the dealer give you the guitars at random, play them yourself with your eyes closed, and again, play the same riffs and chords on both. Open your eyes and go over your findings with your dealer.

If you were indifferent or your findings inconclusive, go with the 314 and save the money. If you like the look of the 414, go with it. If you don't like the look of the 414 (some people don't like white binding), go with the 314 and save the money.

If your ears tell you what mine did, you'll find the 414 to have a slightly (very slight mind you) drier and warmer tone while the 314 had a slightly sweeter and brighter tone. And, I don't mind white binding. So, it was 414 all the way for me.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 01-20-2003, 02:32 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Patti Jean
My main obstacle is getting over my puritan background that the mom is not supposed to indulge themself with something frivilious like a guitar.
Go ahead and indulge yourself! As a mom who wrestled with that same issue a few years ago, YOU will be a better mom because of it. Following my passion (making music with my guitars) has made me a much happier person. Therefore, I am a better mother. I'm also teaching my children that it is important for a parent to have interests and passions that are separate from them. I love them dearly, but mom needs to have something of her own. For me, that's my guitar and my music. Of course, one Taylor led to more Taylors, but I worked and saved for them just like they would have had to. We aren't financially wealthy. One has to work for what you want. I worked for my guitars.

BTW, welcome to the TGF. It's always good to have another woman on board especially one who likes John Denver songs. It is not frivilous to do something for yourself. Have fun shopping for that Taylor. Don't forget the used market. Two of my guitars are preciously owned. Both were an opportunity to have rather expensive guitars at much less cost.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion