The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Default Broadband speed test ?

can anyone help me read this result as i been getting slow speeds on Orange broadband and they have asked me to get three of these readings off BT speed test .I dont know how to convert the test .I am supposed to get up to 8 meg and on other speed test sites i am showing as getting 1.58 meg down ,and 0.33 up .

Anyway here is the Bt test that i cant make head nor tale of .

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Your DSL connection rate: 3008 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1586 kbps

help me understand please ?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM

You're getting 3 MB down, less that 500KB up. Throughput is an overall measure. IP Profile is the maximum throughput capacity for which your line is configured. You're getting well under half of the speeds you expect.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

As you may know, real world speed results are impacted by network congestion and a host of other issues. Performing speed tests at different times throughout the day will give your provider a better idea of your speed fluctuations. Providers monitor their networks 24x7 and can track bandwidth consumption down to the customer level. I've seen a number of cases where end users weren't getting decent speeds, due to bandwidth hogs in their neighborhood consuming more than their fair share of bandwidth, thus impacting the customer experience for others in their area. It happens. Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info its a big help .

can you explain why when i was doing a speed test on other sites like speed genie ,i was getting a reading of 1.6 down and 0.33 up ............even 3 meg down is a little better than first thought ......but still a lot slowwer than the up to 8 i am supposed to get
Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWriter View Post
As you may know, real world speed results are impacted by network congestion and a host of other issues. Performing speed tests at different times throughout the day will give your provider a better idea of your speed fluctuations. Providers monitor their networks 24x7 and can track bandwidth consumption down to the customer level. I've seen a number of cases where end users weren't getting decent speeds, due to bandwidth hogs in their neighborhood consuming more than their fair share of bandwidth, thus impacting the customer experience for others in their area. It happens. Just a thought.
strange that you say this as i used to get very fast speeds

thanks again for info
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubra View Post
You're getting 3 MB down, less that 500KB up.
Be careful with your 'b's and 'B's. 3000kb (kiloBITS) is about 3Mb (megaBITS) which is about .375 MB (megaBYTES). It's a common mixup among consumers when they expect to download a 6MB file in 1 second because they've purchased a 6Mbps/6000kbps broadband line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWriter View Post
I've seen a number of cases where end users weren't getting decent speeds, due to bandwidth hogs in their neighborhood consuming more than their fair share of bandwidth, thus impacting the customer experience for others in their area.
And a lot of DSL companies still perpetuate the myth that because of they way they're configured (dedicate line from you to the local station) vs. cable internet (neighborhood as a lan), they aren't affected by this. At some point everything comes together and if the pipe isn't big enough where that happens, you'll get bottleneck. There may be less of a chance the way DSL is configured, but they're in no way immune.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic