The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Default How to humidify a guitar for long periods?

I live in Southern Alberta , which can experience desert-dry conditions especially in the winter. I would like to leave my guitar out at the lake rather than lug it back and forth (also means I can get a new one for the house ). I have a Taylor 210 which has a solid top and thus requires humidifying. How can I prevent it from drying out/cracking given that it may sit in a corner (cased) in the condo for 2, 3 or 4 months at a time? Or should I just consider buying an all laminate guitar for out there? The heat is typically turned down to 10C (50F) when no one is there in the winter. Anyone have experience storing guitars long term?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
jackholexxxx

I think you best bet would be to get a carbon fiber guitar. I would not store a wooden guitar with such temperature fluctuations.

Maintaining humidity for such a long period of time would also be problematic. A furnace humidifier would be the only option I could think of to keep the humidity constant for months on end.

Pete
Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM

The relative humidity will be higher at 50 degrees. The question is, will it be high enough? It might...but I wont guarantee it. If you can find out the average RH there should be a way to get a rough idea what the RH is when the temp is 50, unless there are complicating factors like forced air heat.

I wonder if wrapping the case in saran wrap or even heat seal plastic/nylon would keep it humidified for a few months?
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 PM

I would suggest buying an old yamaha laminate guitar.My dad has an old laminate mann guitar from ibanez that he keeps at the cabin.The guitar has been there since the late 80's and still sounds good.No problems with it except for a tuner that broke when my brother dropped it.The cabin is in northern sask way up there in the boonies.An all laminate guitar would be your best bet,just keep it hidden,you never know who will be around there.Yamaha junkie might be willing to part with one from his collection.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Hey JoeStrummer. I too am an Albertan with a cabin, but it only has wood heat. I bought an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry dread (with lam top/sides/back) to leave out there & after 4 winters with temps down to -35c it is still in great shape. Actually, I almost like this guit as much as my Taylor 814!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM

I don't think 50 degreesF is a problem at all. The humidity is, though. I don't have any good suggestions for you except ones already offered. I wouldn't leave a solid guitar in < 40 percent humidity for more than a few days at a time.

I don't think any of the commonly avaialble case humidification systems will cover you for more than a couple weeks.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 05-14-2009, 01:25 PM

Yeah there are two issues here:

humidity - I don't think this is a big problem. If you get the guitar and the case to a good humidity, and seal it in an air tight small environment (think a heavy plastic bag) then the humidity cannot escape and it should be stable right?

buuuut

temperature - I think this is going to be a problem. As it dips so does the humidity... They say humidity is more of a problem than temperature.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanatos View Post
Y
temperature - I think this is going to be a problem. As it dips so does the humidity... They say humidity is more of a problem than temperature.

No. As the temperature dips, the relative humidity goes up. Colder air holds less total moisture but RH is what the guitar cares about.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion