The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 AM

Default Pick guard problems

So I had bought a new DN4 a couple of weeks ago and went back the place where I bought it yesterday to have a pick guard installed. Unfortunately I didn't check it before I left as they just put the guitar back in its case. When I got home I noticed that they lined it up with the second ring in a 3 ring rosette. It was lined up great but as far as I'm concerned it should have been lined up on the outermost ring (the 3rd ring). I checked Taylor's site and every picture i could find with a pick guard was lined up on that 3rd ring. I email the shop and they said that maybe Taylor sent them a different one that I haven't seen yet. They said that it could be redone with one that lines up better. So my question is am I wrong in thinking that is should line up with the 3rd ring. Again I've never seen one on the second which essentially covers 2/3 of the 3rd ring. It just doesn't look right. Also how much of an issue is it if they do replace it. Will it have a chance to do damage to the finish? Apart from that the shop where I bought it is fantastic. As for the DN4 itself, I love it. Great tone. Just what I was looking for. Couldn't be happier.

2008 Taylor DN4
Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Get off my lawn kid

There won't be any damage. The glue used to put on pickguards softens very easily when heat is applied (I've removed a couple). As far as lining it up, you gotta have it in a place where it doesn't annoy you. If it looks wrong to you, get it changed. If you wait a few months you might get "tan lines" when you move it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 AM

If you don't like it, have it changed. It's not unusual to line it up with an inner ring of the rosette though.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Have it changed!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Yea that's what I though. Just does't look right to me. They had another DN4 at the shop so hopefully they can find one that matches and I'll just come in to have it swaped. Thanks for making me think I wasn't insane on this request.

2008 Taylor DN4
Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 AM

got 3 acoustics (no Taylors yet though), all have (or had, one came loose and I've removed it) their guards overlapping about half the width of the rosette.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion