The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Potential 2008 DC Aura Martin purchase - Please offer advice

I am new to the forum and wanted to get some advice from the collective knowledge here. I am considering purchasing a 2008 DC Aura Martin from a dealer. He is willing to sell it to me (brand new, in the case and still in the Martin factory box with original factory warranty) for $xxxx insured and delivered, all in. I'm pretty confident that I won't be able to get a better deal than this. But just wanted to get your thoughts. Any advice or feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rlouie; 05-01-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM

This forum is very sensitive to price discussions; basically, they're a no no here. You could probably get any questions answered at the the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (umgf.com)

Bud
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM

Yep, no prices but if that is guitar plus tax it's a decent price (with insurance and shipping, a little high if bought direct at a store).

I have owned both the DC and OMC on board Auras, in fact just finished playing for an hour on my OMC for a gig Sturday night. On board Auras have been my stage guitars of choice since 2005 (when I can't mike which is still first choice).

The Aura has a learning curve but only because it is powerful with 6 images, UST, blending, separate and programmable EQ, and internal and external phase, with a tuner thrown in! A "dialed in" on board Aura has a really nice natural sound.

Both The DC and OMC Auras are very nice guitars, and very nice looking guitars, they get compliments. If you need an acoustic/electric they are a great choice, mine eats Taylors and Takamines regularly on stage.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones74 View Post
I am new to the forum and wanted to get some advice from the collective knowledge here. I am considering purchasing a 2008 DC Aura Martin from a dealer. He is willing to sell it to me (brand new, in the case and still in the Martin factory box with original factory warranty) for $xxxx insured and delivered, all in. I'm pretty confident that I won't be able to get a better deal than this. But just wanted to get your thoughts. Any advice or feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi jones74,

That's an excellent price and it's a decent guitar.

Something to be aware of is that for about the same price, you should be able to get a Martin DC-28E, which features the Fishman Ellipse Aura. I have one and I feel it's a really good live-performance guitar and it's a Standard Series Martin D-28 with a cutaway and acoustic-electric system. The DC Aura has a barndoor controller on its player's side and it's tonal qualities are based on the Martin 16 Series Hybrid X scalloped-braces. Having had a DC-16RE Aura for awhile, I found its sound to be brighter or brasher, both acoustically and especially amplified, than a DC-28E's smoother bass-thru-midrange-to treble more traditional tonal qualities. The only things I feel that may make the DC Aura more appealing are its fancier inlays and ease of battery replacement via the ability to push a latch and extract the barndoor controller's battery module.

Either guitar is a great-sounding axe and the price you've mentioned--but aren't supposed to because of AGF dealer-sponser considerations--is realistic and darn good. I hope my information is useful.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by rlouie; 05-01-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: edited out price
Old 05-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the great feedback. Sorry for breaking the rules on my very first post. I apologize. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Yep, no prices but if that is guitar plus tax it's a decent price (with insurance and shipping, a little high if bought direct at a store).

I have owned both the DC and OMC on board Auras, in fact just finished playing for an hour on my OMC for a gig Sturday night. On board Auras have been my stage guitars of choice since 2005 (when I can't mike which is still first choice).

The Aura has a learning curve but only because it is powerful with 6 images, UST, blending, separate and programmable EQ, and internal and external phase, with a tuner thrown in! A "dialed in" on board Aura has a really nice natural sound.

Both The DC and OMC Auras are very nice guitars, and very nice looking guitars, they get compliments. If you need an acoustic/electric they are a great choice, mine eats Taylors and Takamines regularly on stage.....

You're my idol Rich!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion