The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Antoine Dufour

Has anybody seen this guy live? I've been watching the youtube video of Memories of the Future for about half hour or so now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRvRBQTqUKI

I'm still blown away, so I thought I would introduce him to some newbies around here. Question, what is he doing with the "capo-like thing" around the 4th or 5th fret? Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM

He is moving it a little to get it back into place. Sometimes when playing with a capo you bump it a little once in a while so he is adjusting it. I think he really wasn't quite happy with is capo placement so he was fiddling around with it during the video to get it where he was happy. It's just a guess but when I play some difficult stuff where I hit my capo a few times in a song I do the exact same thing.

Yeah Antoine is quite a player. I learned Spiritual Groove a while back and it's always a fun one to play for me.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 PM

he is using a partial capo with 6 "legs"
he is putting one of the legs on and off during the playing

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 03-23-2009, 11:23 PM

Awesome song! I love the way Dufour plays.

Jeff, how long have you been playing and how long did it take you to learn to play Dufour's stuff?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM

I've been playing for about seven years. I learned the basics of the song in about a week and I have just been playing with it until I got it to how I like the sound. I can't play the very end but I think it helps if you have very low action and if you can plug in. I've only attempted so far Spiritual Groove and I'm beginning to attempt Development but school is killing me right now so it may be the summer before I can work on it.

Idea for learning this quickly and getting the proper rythym is to try to find a free tab and just check a few of the placements sicne they will be close then just youtube the video and watch and stop and play until you can get the section down. Otherwise the tabs get way too confusing.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Nicely done Jeff. I'm trying the tab and watch vid method with Ciluzzi's Gospel. It's harder to play than it looks but that may be because I've only been at this for about 6 months
Old 03-23-2009, 11:35 PM

Yeah the hardest part for me is strings because after a few days I need to change them to keep the ringing harmonics like they are supposed to, but at the moment I'm about to boil my strings to get a little extra life out of them.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
he is using a partial capo with 6 "legs"
he is putting one of the legs on and off during the playing
That's what I was thinking; changing a setting.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 AM

That's a nice guitar that Antoine is playing. Stonebridges sustain forever, so that helps with the harmonics and ringing. As mentioned... fresh strings also make a huge difference.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Yeah, that's the Third-Hand Capo. I have one. It's okay, not great.
It has 6 little cams which can be rotated to apply pressure to 1 or more strings allowing capoed and open strings.

His stuff is pretty good. Technically difficult, melodic stuff. He's also got some decent tutorials on YouTube.

I play Catching the Light and have to warn you to check the finish of your guitar if you do play it. My Martin looks like it's got a really bad case of acne scars or pock-marks on the upper bout. I was surprised when I caught it in just the right light.
DOH!
Marc Beneteau Concert Standard Fan Fret
Holloway Harp Guitar Model 5 (Prototype)
Avian Ibis Multiscale
Breedlove 250CR
Takamine F-310
Takamine F-150
Takamine ES23C Classical
Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
Has anybody seen this guy live? I've been watching the youtube video of Memories of the Future for about half hour or so now:
Chris
I was lucky enough to see Antoine live with Andy McKee, Don Ross, and Erick Turnbull all in the same night. It was in St. Louis, and we sat right in the front. Don broke a string , and I snatched it up after the show. It was an Amazing night.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM

This is just my personal taste, but aside from technical abilities and beautiful recording sound, there's something lifeless and souless about it. Not just Anthony's song but all other "new age" acoustic artists as well. Like Andy McGee or Dan Ross. Great players, but their songs have no life in them. Just my opinion and it's highly subjective so don't shoot me.

I have really try to get into those artists, but I always keep going back to Tommy E, Chet Atkins, Doyle Dykes, John Denver, Doc Watson, Paul Simon etc...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell