The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Default First Open Mic. help

Our town's Performing Arts Council had a local open mic. I was going to take my guitar but I was up till 2:00 in the morning the night before watch Lebron James win another one for the Cavaliers and I was so whipped I decided just to go and listen. I stayed a little over an hour and I was just amazed how bad it was. There a couple of people that were ok but the majority were just terrible.
Is that typical of open Mics. They gave everyone one song to do: just did seem worth it and it was just aweful having to sit through some of those songs.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 03-22-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
There a couple of people that were ok but the majority were just terrible. Is that typical of open Mics?
In venues that actually feature music ... no. In coffee houses, book stores, community clubs and at civic events ... sad to say, yes.

Don Smith
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Open mics can be a lot of fun. In my experience the calibre of players can vary a lot, but the good ones outnumber the bad. Jump in and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
They gave everyone one song to do:
Did they assign everyone the same song to play? Now THAT would make for an interesting evening.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM

My first impression of open mike was the same, "I can mop the floor with these rubes." The next week I was there to be the new "big thing". Unfortunately, a buddy was there and started buying pitchers. By the time my turn came up the brain was running on about 5 cylinders and I had a case of the nerves the size of a houseboat. Total crash and burn. I didn't make it through one song without losing my place, my guitar sounded like crap and my voice was all over the place. The only redeeming thing about the situation is I had the wisdom to not express any opinions about anyone else. I've been away from town for most of the open mic's since and I think I've been away long enough that I wouldn't be remembered so I might try it again. I'll have a new attitude though, anyone that completes a song without a glaring error is probably a **** sight better than me.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I stayed a little over an hour and I was just amazed how bad it was. There a couple of people that were ok but the majority were just terrible.
Is that typical of open Mics. They gave everyone one song to do: just did seem worth it and it was just aweful having to sit through some of those songs.
Steve
No, they are not all that bad. The ones I play at have some VERY competent musicians. Yes, there are some not-so-great players and singers, and now and then a few that really shouldn't have left the bedroom with a guitar in hand. ... and I'm not even considering some of the "poets". Every open mic has its own flavor, so visit as many as you can.

One song wouldn't be worth loading my guitar in the car for, though. We usually get two or three (sometimes I'm requested to many more) depending on the length of the list. Most places limit the list to X number of players. I usually attend a Thurs session every week, doubling up once a month to hit another Thursday in a town 10 miles down the road. Fridays find me at another. A monthly bluegrass jam on Saturday once a month. Another one on Sundays evenings once a month. I'll hit 'em if I don't have a gig with my acoustic band or aren't subbing on bass for a country band. None of these are bars, but rather cafes and art centers that attract very talented musicians and songwriters. The contacts I made at these events are invaluable, I've collaborated with a few that I've met, and some of these folks have become close friends.

Practice one song until you CAN'T make a mistake, head on down to the open mic, and give 'em hell ...

Last edited by RustyAxe; 03-23-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Open mics vary greatly in the quality and quantity of performers. Also most places allow you (want you) to do 2 or 3 songs. Some even 4. So be prepared for more than one.

You did well to go sit and watch and get the lay-of-the land, so to speak. It can help you prepare.

But I agree with comments above. Practice, practice, practice; until you can do your tune falling off a log. Performace space is a different planet we visit from time to time. Make sure you practice your song in a different space a couple times. Go in the Kitchen or the basement or the garage or something. You should get a feel for what being in a strange place does for your concentration.

Then go knock 'em dead.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Practice, practice, practice; until you can do your tune falling off a log. Performace space is a different planet we visit from time to time. Make sure you practice your song in a different space a couple times.
Good point. The poster above that had a buddy start buying him pictures has an excuse of being a little groggy, but someone that's never done it should never underestimate how nerve racking and intimidating it is being up there. The hard thing for me is to play standing up. I have always been a sitting down guitarist (usually on the couch or the end of a bed) and it's a whole different thing standing and playing. Your fretting and picking hands are both attacking the guitar from different angles, especially if you have bad habits when goofing around on the couch.

The other thing is, when I am "performing" at home, until I really focused on it and payed attention, I had no idea just how rarely I would actually make it completely through a song cleanly. Little pauses, chords that are not just quite clean etc happen alot more than you think when you are casually palying around compared to performing.

http://www.robharmon.net
http://reverbnation.com/robharmon
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM

Wow this is a tuff crowd. I dont think I would ever get up at an open mic around you folks. I definitely stink. Im glad when I go to an open mic thats showcases different skill levels. I applaud anyone who takes the time and has the guts to get up before others and perform.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 PM

There are some pretty good players at my open mic. I also agree with whoever said that one song wouldn't be worth it.

I generally play 5-6 songs totaling about 20-25 minutes. It's a good time, and great experience. I'm still new at it (6 "gigs" under my belt) but I've learned a lot in a short time.

Jump in there and try it. If everyone else is terrible, you'll look great. Unless, that is, you've never performed in front of people before. That has a way of making even the simplest song a challenge.

Adam
Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 PM

I find that a lot of players/singers do not know whether or not they posses a talent beyond "average" and, most likely, a friend/relative has--through kindness--complemented their talent and bolstered their confidence. We, as players/singers, are critical and sometimes inflate our own abilities by listening to others and sensing "I can do better than them". Realistically, I know I'm not great and mostly posses just enough talent to recognize greatness. But what I admire is the courage of anyone who conjures up the internal fortitude to fight off nerves and potential ridicule in order to fulfill their desire to perform in front of others. So, when I go to an open mic or coffee house, I will be patient and actively participate in making their experience rewarding. I hope they would do the same for me.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM

We had one open mic where I live. The bar has new owners now, so it may be a while before they start it up again (if they decide to do so).

The level was very high - because it was pretty much just a monthly gig for students at the local pop-music school. The "host" just signed a contract with some record company and the other musicians and singers will probably also go on to work in the industry (at some level).

So it was always pretty high quality, but a little scary for other people who wanted to take part - once you'd hear the students for an hour, it's hard to work up the courage to go on (they were always allowed to play the first hour, and only after that could anyone else take part).

I did it once before they sold the place - it didn't go too well, nerves got the better of me. Three song, with some mistakes (and all played about twice the tempo I practiced...). I was very nervous, and that's no fun. But I learned some stuff for the next time (this April, at a song festival - I'm determined to do better then).

But I don't know. I always wished it would have been a real "open" mic. The music was good, but they didn't really welcome people to come and join in the evening. I suspect I'd have liked that better - more variation, more good and maybe "not-so-good" music, but at least more variation.

Years ago (as I've read), it was not so uncommon that people would either sing or play an instrument. Not so many do these days, so I always like to hear them, even if they're not professionals yet.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 AM

You have brought up a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I've played at open mics in several different states and in different regions of the country. It has been my experience that even when there are a lot of beginners who really struggle through their set, there is always at least one person who does pretty well. And don't forget it is frequently the song that is being debuted, not necessarily the performer. I would always prefer to hear a bad original than a good cover at an open mic.

A lot of people see the open mic as a competition, and some of them actually are. But the ultimate competition is with yourself, to constantly improve. I've been playing and writing a long time, but I always support and encourage beginners. It takes cojones to get up there, and even more to get back up there after you crash and burn.

One other thing. I've seen some incredible performers and songwriters over the years at random open mics. Then I never heard from or about them again. Don't forget that we will never hear much of the best music that has been created. It is the nature of things that talent doesn't always rise to the top and there are an infinite number of great songs and performers that for one reason or another fade into obscurity. So in that way I feel privileged that I was maybe one of the few people who heard a particular person or group that never really went anywhere. Meanwhile some pretty marginal stuff allows people to take the fame and fortune ride. Just turn on the radio.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, does it? Many of us do it because we don't have a choice. Think of all those great musicians who said, "Well, I'd still be doing this if I wasn't successful." I take them at their word and I feel the same. I like people that love music and I like being in an environment where other people feel the same. Open mics have always been a great source of inspiration to me, and the good ones are a sort of community.

I agree that one song makes it not worth it. But if you found a lemon of an open mic, I absolutely recommend you hunt around. They're everywhere, even out in the sticks.

Sorry to go on and on, but I was on another forum where some so-called "professionals" were really putting down the open mics.

PS The only thing that bothers me about a beginner who is just God awful is when he/she is playing a $2,000 guitar But even then I'd most likely offer some encouragement.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 AM

Thanks for your excellent thoughts. I think this was just a bad open mic, it was their first and my first. They allowed CD's for background and it made it a bit on the kareoki side. Their were a few people hanging around with good guitars which made me think it might get better but after an hour for me it started to be too high a price to pay to wait. Good part everyone was having a good time and was very respectful of each singer no matter what they were doing. Need to go back out in the waters and see if there is something better out there.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 AM

I haven't done an open mic yet but I've kinda got the mindset that if I screw up due to nerves, etc., they have to simply deal
Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
I haven't done an open mic yet but I've kinda got the mindset that if I screw up due to nerves, etc., they have to simply deal
I tell newcomers at open mics , "90% of the audience won't even hear your mistakes. The other 10% are real musicians, most will hear every mistake and forgive you for them. The rest don't count. Play. Have fun. Come back next time and do it again."

I agree with the poster who said that many people don't have a grip on their level of talent. Either they have none, but have been told by well meaning loved ones that they do (the American Idol auditioners!), or have such an ego that they think they are better than nearly everyone else.

A study was done that concluded the same set of attributes that makes a person competent are required to judge others (and one's own) competence. Interesting.

At each open mic I attend there are performers that I consider to be excellent ... professional level. I seek them out and ask for their criticism. I've also noticed that some of the poorer performers rarely do the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell