The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Electronic Capo?

This post is somwhat related to one I just put in the "Performing" area (which probably should have gone here) on looping and using digitech vocalist.

Hearing a Vocalist used a few nights ago, I wondered if anyone has yet used such technology to create what would essentially be an electronic capo. Several years ago I scoured the web for this but come up only with obscure papers written about why it can't be done.

Of course, if they do, then pretty soon we won't even need guitars - or hands.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM

The Line6 Variax guitars can do this.

I find pitch shifters always leave too many artifacts behind, but they are getting better these days. For monophonic sources, it does sound much better, and it sounds even better again when done is post production where a large time window can be analysed and processed.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 PM

There's the technical reason of why and it generally has to do with polyphonic sources and such, but the more practical reason is that anything electronic would sound worse and be 10 to 100x more expensive than a capo.

pitch shifters are a bit different because the general idea is to combine or layer the pitch shifted note on top of the played note... and generally the advances in pitch shifter technology isn't to allow you to play chords and shift them like a capo, but rather to improve multinote tracking so that the sustain of one note is still shifted while you continue to play more notes that are shifted as well. As the technology improves, obviously the line between rapid note succession and a strummed chord or simultaneous notes becomes blurred.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 AM

The best way to do it is by "sampling" and processing each string individually which requires a hexaphonic pickup. As mentioned above, the Line6 Variax can accomplish this as can the Roland VG series of processors.

I saw it done with acoustic guitar some years ago. Scott Dente had a highly modified Langjans with an RMC hex pick-up system that drove a Roland VG-8 set-up. Having owned and played a VG system, I can tell you that it can be disorienting (at first) to be able to hear the standard tuned strings on the guitar simultaneously with the pitch corrected / processed strings....takes some getting used to!

I believe these systems work best with "solidbody" style electric or electric / acoustic guitars.
2000 Lowden F25

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification