The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Default 1990s Guild D-4...your thoughts?

It must have been 1993 when I bought my D-4. Mahagony back and sides, and spruce top. No bells or whistles to speak of, just a rock solid drednaught, and not terribly expensive. The one nifty thing about it is that it has a molded back, which increases the strength and negates the need for bracing. Kind of amazing for the price I paid.

Anyway, 16 years later, and this thing sounds great. It's in need of a little TLC, because I've abused it too many ways to count over the years (I was 16 or 17 when I got it, and didn't know much about caring for guitars and didn't care much, either).

I love her all the more for enduring what I've put her through, and still sounding as good as she does.

Older and wiser, I'm now going to give her some love, and have her fully serviced and set-up, but there's a part of me that's afraid she'll lose that mojo she's got. Silly of me?

Anyone else have a D-4 that they love? Stories to share? Advice to give?

Cheers!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

A Guild D-4 was the first good (american made solid top) acoustic guitar I ever owned. I played it for a few years an then got a good job and upgraded to a Guild D-55. I sold that D-4 to a close friend who still owns it. It is really beat up now but it still sounds pretty good! Its missing a lot of wood around the soundhole from some really heavy playing.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Don't worry about the "Mojo" that is already there, in the wood.

Get her cleaned up, set up, frets leveled or replaced etc and you won't believe how much more (and yes it is possible) that you will love it and all the Mojo will still be there.
I just may do that. Maybe I'll post some before and after pictures.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Smile

Guild made to be played
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM

nice guitar!
i noodled around w/ a new guild D4- made in WA- a couple of days ago in a local shop- it was a wonderful instrument and the price was very reasonable. sounds like you've bonded w/ yours over the years- it should be fun gettin' it all spiffed up!

R.

Last edited by joopie; 02-12-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Hey Swan...
I bought my Guild D-35 in Jan of '73... my first "real" acoustic. Still have it... but have added a couple (OK... 5) more old Guilds over the last 2-1/2 years.

There are a lot of Guild owners that "hang out" at http://www.letstalkguild.com. You might want to check it out...
Dave

Last edited by Gardman; 02-12-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2009, 11:26 AM

Default I could've had a Guild D4...

It was really a toss-up back in 1996. I was saving up for a "nice" guitar, and I had 3 choices for the price I wanted to pay:
1. Guild D-4
2. Martin D1
3. Taylor 410E

...and that Taylor 410E still sounds great! But I don't think I could've gone wrong with the other 2 brands...
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion