The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Why always the G String--Elixirs!

When I break a string with Elixirs, which is like once every 2 years, its always the G string.. Does anyone else notice this with elixirs?
Castillo 3/4th Size Nylon
Epiphone DR-212 Twelve String Guitar
Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Yeah, this is a sore subject for alot of folks around here. If you search, you'll find quite a few threads on this. Want to know how to fix the 'G' string breakage issue? Go buy about 3 extra single 'G' strings. Ever since I did this about a year ago, I haven't broken one. Go figure...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showngo2000 View Post
Yeah, this is a sore subject for alot of folks around here. If you search, you'll find quite a few threads on this. Want to know how to fix the 'G' string breakage issue? Go buy about 3 extra single 'G' strings. Ever since I did this about a year ago, I haven't broken one. Go figure...
I don't know about the extra strings fixing the problem, but I can tell you that if you have any binding in the nut, it will certainly snap your G-string.. Gee that didn't quite sound right, but you get the picture. A little nut lubricant of your choice will certainly help, but having the nut space checked and shaped is certainly a good idea, especially if you have put heavier strings on your guitar than you had originally. FWIW.. probably not much
Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

When I break a string, regardless of who made them, it's almost universally the G-string. I'm not sure why that is, if I hit it harder than others or if it's under more tension... but regardless, the G-string is the one that goes.

Not only should you check out your nut but also your bridge saddle for any burrs or rough spots. These can cause stress concentrations that REALLY shorten string life. A nail file or light sandpaper can help you clean up these burrs on the saddle. Just be careful of the guitar's finish.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4life View Post
When I break a string with Elixirs, which is like once every 2 years, its always the G string.. Does anyone else notice this with elixirs?
I used to have issues with the G-string as well. A good friend of mind suggested that I put Vasoline on the saddle(with a Q-tip) and ever since I haven't had problems.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Guess I've just been lucky but, I have never broken an Elixir G string or any other for that matter and I have used them for several years now.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
biggs2 Guess I've just been lucky but, I have never broken an Elixir G string or any other for that matter and I have used them for several years now.
Same here!!!! I play fairly agressive at times to. 6 & 12 strings NO PROBLEMS!!!! Can't understand why Elixer gets a bad rap on this. Maybe its just the simple fact that more people use Elixers than any other string.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 PM

My Tanglewood came with Elixir's and they lasted 2 weeks before breaking. I figured they may have been pounded on for months by who know who so whatever. Then I had the G of my next set last 2 days! And go figure, my local store was all sold out of Elixir G's... So I bought a new pack and it lasted 2 days. Then I stopped buying Elixir's and my strings lasted waaaaaaaaaaaaay longer.

In my case, not a nut or saddle issue as I did nothing to either. It was an Elixir issue.

G's snap first because the core wire is the thinnest of ALL of the strings.

Elixir knows and will give you free G's I have heard...

From my past experince on this forum, players who are 95% plus fingerstyle players don't break Elixir G's.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott E Worby View Post
G's snap first because the core wire is the thinnest of ALL of the strings.
Bingo!! That is it in a nutshell!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 AM

wind the whole G string.......most ppl dont, it needs the extra wraps....though they still snap...just something to help
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM

I just popped my G string this past Sunday morning (in the middle of teaching kindergarteners the "Aleph Bet Song" ), it's happened maybe two other times in the 11 years I've been using Elixers. I always just call them up in Elkton Maryland and they always send me a replacement G string.....

(note: this is with relatively "new" strings, I wouldn't bother calling them up if the strings were three months old and popped)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

The g string is typically a very light gauge interior with a light wrap -it is the most fragile string of all ( unless your use to ex-lights or electric guitar slinkys etc.)
It breaks more frequesntly on just about every make of string - so get an extra g string .
Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM

I'm pretty afraid of the G string, myself. Always "squint and look away" as I tune it (up or down - break just as often when I lower the tension).

Since I like to play in open D sometimes, I've been keeping my guitar tuned down half a step. So I re-tune all the other strings except my G string to go between the two. Now I just worry about my high E string.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM

I broke my 1st wound G in 22 years this weekend. It was an elixer on a 12 string, 3rd time off/on for the sames set of strings while making a new nut. Figured it would happen sooner or later with filing etc. on this one. Not sure why some break them some don't I simply don't under normal use.

I also have used white graphite for years on the nut before I install new strings, just a puff and clean up any mess and put on the strings. This also makes a difference in tuning being more responsive to turning the pegs because there is far less friction in the nut slots.

Jerry
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Hmmmm. The last time I broke a G-string, I got a bloody nose from a plastic shoe and I was asked to leave for the night.

Just kidding. That never happened.

Seriously, I avoided the broken G string problem by using Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos strings.

Ovation CSE24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion