The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Most overrated guitarist

*Inspired by an earlier post about the most underrated guitarists*

Viewing that earlier thread i got a chance to listen to some great guitarists, some of which I had never heard before. Just wondering who you all thought were some of the most overrated players.

Edit: Oops..forgot to mention mine.. I'd have to say Johnny Cash. I can understand people enjoying his bad-boy-great-lover image, but beyond that he really shone to me.

Last edited by nyleharris; 01-08-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Perhaps I better take cover when I say this, but taking note of talents like Roland Dyens, Tim Sparks, Pierre Bensusan, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice, Pat Metheny, Frank Gambale, Alan Holdsworth and plenty of other folks, the things people like to say about Eric Clapton make me giggle a little.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

IMO Carlos Santana and BB King but they are both great song writers and showman.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, B.B. King, Jerry Garcia, et al. But I like them anyway, and still play their music. I just don't consider them quite the guitar phenomenons that the general public seems to think they are. They're good, but they don't exist at some level unattainable by mere mortals, by a long stretch...

Sugar Bear
Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Jimi Hendrix.........I heard he had someone play the licks in the background while he fingered it........sort of a milly vinilly thing........
Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, B.B. King, Jerry Garcia, et al. But I like them anyway, and still play their music. I just don't consider them quite the guitar phenomenons that the general public seems to think they are. They're good, but they don't exist at some level unattainable by mere mortals, by a long stretch...

Sugar Bear
surprised to hear this about Clapton. In watching some of his earlier-mid career performaces, he's fantastic, and a lot better than I thought he was.

there isn't much he can't do on a strat!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mustapick View Post
Perhaps I better take cover when I say this, but taking note of talents like Roland Dyens, Tim Sparks, Pierre Bensusan, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice, Pat Metheny, Frank Gambale, Alan Holdsworth and plenty of other folks, the things people like to say about Eric Clapton make me giggle a little.
Good comment. I'd agree with that (hey, isn't that the criteria for a good comment?) , and toss guys who barely can play, like Johnny Cash, in there as well. Holding a big black guitar isn't a substitute for playing it.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
Jimi Hendrix.........I heard he had someone play the licks in the background while he fingered it........sort of a milly vinilly thing........
I read that article too. What surprised me most was the part about the space aliens eating his baby though.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 PM

lol yardism............dang ya busted me
Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Is there some point to this thread, other than to start arguments over differences of opinion?

While we're at it, what's the best flavor of ice cream?

It's so Bay Area. Why does everyone here have something to prove?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
surprised to hear this about Clapton. In watching some of his earlier-mid career performaces, he's fantastic, and a lot better than I thought he was.

there isn't much he can't do on a strat!
I think Eric Clapton is a good electric player, a decent singer, and a decent song writer. I own most of his CD's.

However, I have never thought he was much of an acoustic guitar player. That's just not his strength. The one CD I never listen to is his unplugged MTV album. It just bores me to death.

Certainly, a person with reasonable skills on the guitar (electric or acoustic) can learn to play his style if they want to bad enough.

To me, Clapton is a lot like Hendrix, in that he was an innovator, he contributed a lot to popular music during the 60's. Clapton took American blues and reintroduced it to the world in a way that got a lot of people's attention.

However, in terms of technical skills, there are so many players who are so much better, but being good at music is more than just technical facility. He has had the ability to keep selling his music to the public, staying power, that few musicians have had.

I have to say that since reading his autobiography, I have not been inclined to listen to his music since.

Regards, Glenn
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think Eric Clapton is a good electric player, a decent singer, and a decent song writer. I own most of his CD's.

However, I have never thought he was much of an acoustic guitar player. That's just not his strength. The one CD I never listen to is his unplugged MTV album. It just bores me to death.

Certainly, a person with reasonable skills on the guitar (electric or acoustic) can learn to play his style if they want to bad enough.

To me, Clapton is a lot like Hendrix, in that he was an innovator, he contributed a lot to popular music during the 60's. Clapton took American blues and reintroduced it to the world in a way that got a lot of people's attention.

However, in terms of technical skills, there are so many players who are so much better, but being good at music is more than just technical facility. He has had the ability to keep selling his music to the public, staying power, that few musicians have had.

I have to say that since reading his autobiography, I have not been inclined to listen to his music since.

Regards, Glenn

why not? please tell us.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakee View Post
Is there some point to this thread, other than to start arguments over differences of opinion?

While we're at it, what's the best flavor of ice cream?

It's so Bay Area. Why does everyone here have something to prove?
Well, it seems to me that the large majority of this and most forums is about opinions.

Regards, Glenn
Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Well, it seems to me that the large majority of this and most forums is about opinions.

Regards, Glenn
True. My opinion is, as soon as any of us attain the net worth of Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana, we can start spouting off about who is overrated.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Really, who cares?

This is a stupid thread.

Here's a Eric Clapton thought. He's forgotten more guitar than the sum total of this forum's players will ever know.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion