The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Do you think my SCGC needs mediums?

I love my Santa Cruz Vintage Artist(Sitka/Hog) dread, and I bought it used for an awesome price, but I can't help but think the sound could be even better. Currently I have been trying all different kinds of strings with some benefit but I typically go for 12's.

In general, do you guys think Sitka/hog dreads need medium strings vs. lights? I am open-minded to trying them but suspect that will require some set-up work. I do like to tune down half a step. I did contact Santa Cruz to see what they spec them with but I haven't heard back yet.

Many thanks. Chad
Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
...In general, do you guys think Sitka/hog dreads need medium strings vs. lights?
Hi Chad...
You really have not given us much info to go on.
  • Are you playing in a situation where you need to generate more physical volume and the guitar is too soft?
  • Do you play with flat picks?
  • If so what weight of pick do you ues?
  • Where does your strumming hand fall in relationship to the soundhole versus the bridge?
  • All these things affect the tone of the guitar as much as the strings do.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to your question. I have a friend who plays in several bluegrass bands, and he puts mediums on everything.

His son - who has his own bluegrass band - puts lights on everything - and when they play together, they sound great, and I've never caught myself thinking that the son's guitar needed mediums to keep up with his dad's guitars either for tone or volume (one plays a Gibson the other a Martin).

As to your question about ''in general'', it would boil down for me as to how a particular guitar sounds played in a certain style, and who is playing it and what they need the action set for comfort and fluidity. A strummer who just plays backing parts probably has different needs than a fingerstyler or jazz player.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 AM

About 18 months ago I purchased a used SCGC 00-28, 12-fret in IR and Sitka and was completely perplexed on why it didn’t sound as good as I knew it could/should. After much experimentation (previosly I always used lights 12s to mediums 13s) AND consulting the blokes at SCGC I tried the Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings (.011 - .052) and not only did I find my absolute favorite strings, I dialed in a sound and tone that can only be described as heavenly. For a little guitar, it’s a cannon and I can’t tell you how many compliments I get on the sound (I participate and play at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago so she’s exposed to many players, teachers and students!). I also now prefer the lighter strings for bending/shaking chords and notes and overall playabilty.

Granted, there are huge differences between a Dread and a Parlor, but give them a try and see what you think.

As an aside, I mostly play fingerstyle but do occasionally breakout with a picked accompaniment and or blistering lead solo, etc.

Let me know what you think. I buy them on-line and typically pay $12 – 13 per set delivered and playing a lot as I do, they tend to last 6 weeks or so.

Cheers!

Trow
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Avoid the 80/20 alloy and try regular phosphor 13's. I usually use them on my mahogany guitars.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion