The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Default Elixirs on a Seagull S6... what do you use: Polyweb or Nanoweb?

If you play a Seagull S6 model, especially a Seagull S6+ GT, and use Elixir strings, do you use Polywebs or Nanowebs?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM

I'm using nano light 80/20 right now, but I'm probably going to switch when they start to wear out--they just don't sound very good.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine View Post
If you play a Seagull S6 model, especially a Seagull S6+ GT, and use Elixir strings, do you use Polywebs or Nanowebs?
Hi co...
My S6 Cedar topped guitar often gets coated phosphor bronze - either Elixir Nano phosphor bronze or D'Addario EXP. It can handle 80/20 just fine, but I like the way the phosphor bronze sound in coated strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 PM

What are the advantages of Elixir strings, is it just a different sound or do they play easier? Or both?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurerockstar View Post
What are the advantages of Elixir strings, is it just a different sound or do they play easier? Or both?
Hi futurist...
Depends on who you ask.

I like them because when I'm busy, they outlast non-coated strings at least double to triple the length of play before needing to change them. Since I get about 20 hours of play out of non-coated strings, instead of changing them weekly, I'm changing them every 3 weeks or so.

The other advantage is they squeak a bit less and keep their tone and sustain longer. They cost about double or triple per set, so they are not a cost savings, only a time saver. Really hard strummers who strum close to the bridge with thin picks tend to break the G or D strings frequently.

The D'Addario EXP cost double and last about double the time. They squeak just as bad as normal non-coated strings.

When any of them are fresh, I don't hear any difference when recording them. Pete Huttlinger uses them 3 weeks or more in the studio for paying jobs, and they sound great on his Collings.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Wow I had no idea strings have that limited life. Is that because of your style of play or because of recording and you need the best possible sound? This is obviously something i don't need to be concerned about as i am a new player then?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurerockstar View Post
Wow I had no idea strings have that limited life. Is that because of your style of play or because of recording and you need the best possible sound? This is obviously something i don't need to be concerned about as i am a new player then?
Hi future-guy...
Strings wear out and are replaced more often than any other thing on a guitar.

Even if you are a newbie, they will wear out and then they will either get totally dull, or one may even break. They get dirty, grimy, and oxidized.

If you want to extend their life, then wash your hands with soap and water before you play, and wipe the strings down every time you finish playing - even for a few minutes.

Depending on you skin chemistry, you may be a string-killer, in which case the choice between coated and non-coated strings is already made for you. If your hands sweat a lot while playing (as in leaving the fingerboard wet when you play) then you may be a string-killer and coated strings will be the only way you can extend the life of strings sensibly.

A couple weeks to a month, and most of us kill strings. Some people like them deader than others, so you will have to arrive at your level of decision on when to change them (unless one breaks and decides for you).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion