The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Default New to forum and a general opinion/help

Hi folks, I'm glad I found a forum with people who love playing as much as I do, if not more.

I've been playing guitars since 14 and now I'm just shy of 40.

When I was 18, I met Jesus and my heart changed. I also changed guitar styles from hard rock to praise and worship. Anyhow;

I bought my first Taylor back in 2000, a 12 string jumbo and from what I've read from a lot here, after the first strum on a Taylor yer hooked.

Here's where I need some help.

I enjoy the sound of both the Taylors (read signature) and so do the folks at church where I lead the music for the Sunday morning praise and worship band.

I'm researching as much as I can about my next purchase.

Here in Raleigh, NC I can't find any LTD's to play at GC or sam ash.

I believe the sound of cocobolo with an addi top would give me a bit more clarity and punch.

Also I read about this new Alpine moon spruce top with addi bracing that gives players a strong presence when strumming and the clarity and resonance when finger picking.

I flat strum about 75% and finger pick the rest. I finger pick using only the pads on my fingers and the flat of my nails (short nails due to being a mechanic).

So, not being able to test drive a cocobolo in a jumbo or GS with an addi or Apline top, I'm asking those of you who have or have played one for your opinion using an 815 or similar for your comparison.

What I have been thinking about purchasing is a BTO jumbo/GS with cocobolo, Addi or Alpine top with the Expression or
An R. Taylor style #1 with cocobolo, addi or alpine top.

Thanks in advance
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM

Welcome to both folds!!

I too am sold out to Taylor and Jesus!!
In my opinion, playing makes the best decision. However, if you're like me, you really don't have anywhere to go to try different types. I have recently enrolled in a local guitar class where we are building one from scratch, with mainly hand tools. Just an occasional belt sander. During the wood choice discussion, the best for what you are looking for seems to be the rosewood, cocobolo being one of the best choices, and the Adirondack spruce gave the most sound for the top. We "tapped" the wood to listen for the tone of each, and that Adirondack rang forever! It is AAA grade. Needless to say, that's what mine is being made of. As for the electronics, Jim at Guitar Rodeo told me, " If you seldom use an amp now, don't buy the electronics. Just mike it."
At Church I play my Jumbos, 6 or 12. A little louder than the smaller ones. No amp.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
*mahoganut*

Hi MDS - you might browse through the classifieds. I've seen occasionally guitars that would meet your specs posted.

Are you playing solo or with other guitars / keyboards / drums? I found my 914 cocobolo / englemann had too many overtones for the small worship team I was in - amp'd through a small powered head. So I opted for an all mahogany 514 that is bell like and clear and yet still has some punchy to it. So I'd just caution you - not that the cocobolo sounded bad at all on its own - it did NOT! It was beautiful. But in the mix all that lushness ended up muddy.

Welcome to the AGF and glad to hear from you.

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-23-2008, 05:44 PM

For right now, it's three voices, the guitar and a bass but on occasion I'll get hooked up with drums and keyboards.

As far as getting drowned out, only if we get an inexperienced person on the mixer. Since I have been given the lead in the band, I try to keep all the overtones down to a minimum. We try and mix the instruments and the voices so that anyone out in the audience can single out any of the instruments and individual voices.

I really like my 800 jumbo's, but I miss the presence of the mid's and when I try to compensate using the EQ's, the high notes get a sound that to me, sounds kind of fake. Using the tone chart at the Taylor website, Rosewood is dead on for their guitars. Fat low end and warm to brilliant highs, but the mids are kinda flat. I love the broad range of sound from rosewood.
I wouldn't be happy with maple or koa because the lower end would not have the presence I'm looking for.

From Taylor's website, the cocobollo rosewood seems to well fit. My line of thinking is that with a brilliant top like addy or moon spruce with coco, I can turn the low end of the EQ up a bit and get a tad more bass and cut the high end of the EQ so as not to be too brillinat on the high end.

Problem is, there are no cocobollo's with addy or moon tops out here for me to test drive, hence the plea for ya'alls presonal experiences.

Than you,
Mike
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion