The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Cocobologist

Default Fishman Solo (Part II)

This is a continuation of the Fishman Solo thread...

Part I can be found here ... http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=135438

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Here's what I want to know. For close to the same price as an Acoustic Image Corus (within $200) How do you think the SoloAmp compares? That Corus looks pretty **** nice and from all reviews sounds Top. Plus it's smaller.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
Here's what I want to know. For close to the same price as an Acoustic Image Corus (within $200) How do you think the SoloAmp compares? That Corus looks pretty **** nice and from all reviews sounds Top. Plus it's smaller.
I just went to the Acoustic Image web site it looks as if the Corus is designed and marketed as an acoustic guitar Instrument amplifier, where the soloamp is supposed to be designed and marketed as a vocal and acoustic guitar unit but the more qualified engineer types on this forum might be able to offer a better tech.explanation as to why that may or may not be the case..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM

It would be interesting to compare the propagation characteristcs of the LR Baggs amp with its BRM speaker and the SoloAmp with its quasi line array.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Default Fishman Solo and the Acoustic Image Corus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
It would be interesting to compare the propagation characteristcs of the LR Baggs amp with its BRM speaker and the SoloAmp with its quasi line array.
Folks I just bought an AI corus and will put it through the test and let you know
First impressions on the guitar through it are really really impressive
Better than the AER
The vocal channel is the make or break for me

Stay tuned
Old 10-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I've reviewed some of the materials detailing the BMR speaker design. Nothing in it claims to have anything like the penetration characteristics of a line array system. Since the baggs is only a single speaker, and single point sources can't be line arrays, they can't give you the penetration of a line array, real or quasi.

The two things you get with a BMR are wide dispersion if you want it (in all directions though - I haven't seen anything where they've tuned it to be only horizontal or vertical constrained) and getting the full range from a single driver.

One of the potential drawbacks of the 140 degree dispersion of the AREF is that you're sending a lot of energy into the ceiling and floor. Or to the ceiling and lower bodies of the listeners.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I just went to the Acoustic Image web site it looks as if the Corus is designed and marketed as an acoustic guitar Instrument amplifier, where the soloamp is supposed to be designed and marketed as a vocal and acoustic guitar unit but the more qualified engineer types on this forum might be able to offer a better tech.explanation as to why that may or may not be the case..
People are using the Corus like the Soloamp..For vocals and guitars.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
Folks I just bought an AI corus and will put it through the test and let you know
First impressions on the guitar through it are really really impressive
Better than the AER
The vocal channel is the make or break for me

Stay tuned
OUTSTANDING!!!! I am waiting with Baited Breath!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
OUTSTANDING!!!! I am waiting with Baited Breath!
Hope the audience will be several feet away, especially if you've got bait on your breath! (sorry - couldn't resist...)
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
I've reviewed some of the materials detailing the BMR speaker design. Nothing in it claims to have anything like the penetration characteristics of a line array system. Since the baggs is only a single speaker, and single point sources can't be line arrays, they can't give you the penetration of a line array, real or quasi.

The two things you get with a BMR are wide dispersion if you want it (in all directions though - I haven't seen anything where they've tuned it to be only horizontal or vertical constrained) and getting the full range from a single driver.

One of the potential drawbacks of the 140 degree dispersion of the AREF is that you're sending a lot of energy into the ceiling and floor. Or to the ceiling and lower bodies of the listeners.
I thought a comparison of these two amps would be interesting because they are both new designs that are a departure from the typical acoustic guitar amp not because I had some mistaken notion about BRM drivers. LR Baggs is the first to use them in a guitar amp.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
People are using the Corus like the Soloamp..For vocals and guitars.
No argument here, I was merely relating the differences in the marketing verbiage.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Just ordered SoloAmp

Well I did it, I just got off the phone with Chris at Sweetwater... SoloAmp should be here Thurs. or Fri of next week.... House and studio are mess right now, in the throws of a major renovation .. Basement studio is getting new a bamboo floor but I hope to have it done by thurs... I will post my impressions, later Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-05-2008, 02:05 AM

at the ibma in nashville, i heard a dobro off in the distance and i thought to myself, wow that sounds like a recording kinda...i walked over and he was playing through a soloamp...ive never heard the bose but i can say that dobro sounded awesome through the SOloamp...he did have some sort of peddle in between him and the soloamp
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 AM

went to a bose store they have here in nashville and got to hear the bose l1, it was music played through it but i still go an idea...

i could hear what everyone comments on.."the bose sound" that ppl dont like but it wasnt bad at all..i thought it sounded great and my girlfriend loved it, the soloamp was maybe a bit warmer but no one in your audience will ever know.unless its one of us lol

he had it turned up to 3 and it filled the store and seemed loud but i could still talk to my girlfriend as we walked around...i thought it was nice.

i can see it geting real loud if it was turned up more. he said he had played his too a crowed of 400 and it worked great (tho he was a salesman)
Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 AM

I had a gig last night at a small gift store that was having a "ladies night" promotion. The store was probably around 1500 sq ft and just packed full of stuff. I was over on one side with the SA to my right about two feet and just slightly in front of me.

Had the volume up to a little below 25%, was told you could hear it well through most of the store which suprised me. Course there wasnt a lot of loud talking like the bars, but there was plenty of stuff and shelves to soak up the sound.

Had a lot of compliments on the music, at one point the line stretched back to right in front of me. Not one sing complaint about it being too loud and most of the people in line were interacting with me and making requests.

I remember doing this gig last year with my large system, two 12's and a very heavy rack. It was so great to show up this time about 15 minutes before hand and be setup and ready to go right on time. On top of that I didnt take up nearly as much room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification