The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 PM

Default Clip from The Water is Wide

I'm learning the Ed Gerhard arrangement of The Water is Wide, but I'm tweaking it in spots for the heck of it. I think I'm about to change strings, so I wanted to record a quick clip of it before that. It would be a day or so before my guitar would be recordable.

Forgive the playing toward the end. I screwed up and the couldn't remember how to finish.

There is one particular F#m chord on there that is a bear to play. I need to come up with a different voicing for it. Maybe I should just learn Ed's arrangement entirely first and then go from there.

Anyway, here's my short rendition of it. Full version to follow someday.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=6795595
1992 Zion Classic Maple (electric)
1996 Carvin LB75 bass
Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 PM

Sounds like you're getting there...keep at it.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:31 PM

Wow... That was beautiful.

You got a great sound too.

Sounds like you are doing a great job, and look forward to hearing the full version when you get it done.

Very nice work...
Old 08-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Go, Go Johnny, Go - Go, Go Johnny, Go - to quote Chuck Berry

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 AM

Bu m p....
Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 AM

Neiby - Ed's version of WiW is one of my all time fave acoustic guitar tracks. I'm looking forward to hearing your finished version very much - sounds like it's coming on just fine.
I know exactly what you mean about the F#m
Keith
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

I changed my strings and they actually sounded good right off the bat. I thought I had some John Pearse uncoated PBs, but when I went to put them on I realized that I had accidentally grabbed 80/20s. Since I wanted to try PBs on this guitar again, I used some EXP16s. They're really sticky and squeaky compared to the Elixirs that I had on there, but they sound pretty good. Kind of dark, but good.

I haven't learned any more of this song. I had my kids this weekend and that makes it hard to concentrate on music. But I may record the exact same clip with the new strings just to compare the sound of EXP PBs vs. Elixir 80/20s. then again, that might not be fair because those Elixirs are a month old and well used.

I also noticed that I was playing too fast, as usual. I tend to rush songs when I'm playing alone. I push the tempo until the technique is difficult and don't even notice it at the time. I really notice it when I listen back to it and wonder what the heck I was thinking! My version is way too fast.
1996 Carvin LB75 bass
Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 AM

It's sounding real good, John. I listened before seeing your followup comments and it's funny but the thought had come to my mind "I'll bet he's playing just a tiny bit faster than he meant to". I think Ed uses a fair bit of rubato (is that the right word for letting the tempo be faster or slower for expressive effect?) and it may be that you didn't need to go slower overall as much as let the tempo breath in certain places.

Or maybe you just meant to make it slower all along, I'm no musician. I just expected to hear those little ritard moments in a couple places where they didn't happen. Lovely tone, though.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Very soothing sound, John. It sounds like you are on the right track!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 PM

Okay, here is a clip of that song after changing to D'Addario EXP16s. I really don't like the result. I think my guitar is way too dark sounding with these strings on it. There's also more string squeak and less definition among the notes. I think I might junk these strings tonight and put the John Pearse 80/20s that I accidentally bought on there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=6800231

EDIT: I even switched to a different mic to pick up less bass because it was too boomy. The first clip was recorded with a large diaphragm mic. This was a small diaphragm mic.
1996 Carvin LB75 bass

Last edited by neiby; 08-11-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Maplebaby inspired me to try my hand at this again. Here is my latest clip of this song using my MGC with the John Pearse 80/20s, which I'm thoroughly pleased with.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=6819185

My technique is nowhere near Maplebaby's, but I'm improving. Of the clips I've done, this one is by far the best.
1996 Carvin LB75 bass
Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Guitar Honey

The last one is definitely louder, but the tone quality of the 2nd one seemed richer to me. Who can really tell from a recording though, as there are so many variables such as mic quality, placement, recorders, room ambiance, level of attack, effects, etc. We could only judge string quality if the exact same methods were used for each recording.

Anyway, all that just to say they all sound pretty and I enjoyed your playing.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 AM

The recording with the EXP16s was definitely richer, but it was too sonically dense for me. I really didn't like all the overtones it produced. This guitar is a very rich sounding instrument, so the PBs are a bit too much for me. I much prefer the 80/20s on this thing.

And I am learning to record it better. Practice makes perfect, I guess. I would like a better mic and preamp, but what I have is certainly okay for the time being.
1996 Carvin LB75 bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell