The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-08-2008, 04:30 AM

Default Need Basic Recording Tips

I want to record my guitars in stereo with my Tascam 8-track digi. I have a large diaphragm and a small diaphragm condenser mike. I tried a track with the small mike close to the soundhole and the large about 4 inches back. I got a good, fat stereo image of the guitar but not a lot of clarity. Suggestions?

BTW, I have no outboard equalizer.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

First things first, the sound hole is a poor place to mic a guitar. Start with the small diaphragm mic placed about 6-8 inches away from, and pointed at, the place where the neck and body meet. Place the large diaphragm mic about 6-8 inches out and pointed behind the bridge on the treble side. Pan the small D. to the right side and the Large D. to the left. You could also try a 90' XY pair:

The ORTF (Office of Radiodiffusion & Television Francaise - French Radio Technique) is a bit trickier but can be used as well. Both would be set about 6-10 inches from the neck/body joint. More HERE on one of my little webpages.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Should we assume you are recording the mic inputs into into two separate tracks? Niggly question because you did mention you "tried a track" If not, record them into two separate tracks and as Bob suggested pan them left and right.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy505 View Post
Should we assume you are sending the mic inputs into two separate inputs and then into two separate tracks? Niggly question because you did mention you "tried a track" If not, record them into two separate tracks and as Bob suggested pan them left and right.
Yes...two inputs, two tracks.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Hmm. now you've got me thinking... I have a Tascam 8track recorder as well (DP-02CF) and I'm not sure one can even record both inputs into one track? And if you could why would you?..one can bounce tracks together later. sorry for falling off topic...

anyways, the advice is free and worth about as much

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM

I recorded my guitar a few nights ago using similar mics. I had a large diaphragm mic pointed at the neck at the 12th fret. I had the small diaphragm mic further away, off to my (the player) right pointing sort of toward the bridge. That mic was just used to add a sense of space to the track. It ended up sounding pretty good.
1992 Zion Classic Maple (electric)
1996 Carvin LB75 bass
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeman View Post
I want to record my guitars in stereo with my Tascam 8-track digi. I have a large diaphragm and a small diaphragm condenser mike. I tried a track with the small mike close to the soundhole and the large about 4 inches back. I got a good, fat stereo image of the guitar but not a lot of clarity. Suggestions?

If one directional mic was closer than 4" to the soundhole I would expect to hear a big woof rather than the sound of the guitar.

Combining two mics that are 4" apart in distance from the guitar is a prescription for phase cancellation and a "hollow" sound.

The usual techniques with two mics like this are spaced pair techniques:

One mic pointed at the 12th fret, 12-24" from the guitar, angled slightly toward the soundhole. Second mic pointed at the bridge, 10-18" from the guitar.

Try each mic in each position, and vary the angles to find just the right tone.

Another technique is to put one mic on the 12th fret and one by the players ear, to capture the sound you hear when playing.

Coincident mic techniques are designed to be used with matched or very similar mics. If you try to use two very different mics with X/Y or ORTF, there's a strong chance that the stereo image will jump around because of frequency response differences between the two mics.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeman View Post

First, which mics do you have?
Second, why are you so bent on using both?

Regards,

Ty (why use 2 when 1 will do, and frequently more nicely) Ford
Old 08-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
...(why use 2 when 1 will do, and frequently more nicely) Ford
Hi TY...
While I agree with you that often one well placed mic helps make amazing recordings, he did say he wants to record in stereo.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM

I don't know about the OP, but I definitely prefer recording solo guitar in stereo. I probably would go with a single mic if I were recording a part that had to sit in a mix with a lot of other instruments, but it really depends on the song and that guitar part.
1992 Zion Classic Maple (electric)
1996 Carvin LB75 bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell