The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Best book of scales?

As I've been learning to play for a few weeks now, I've enjoyed learning and practicing some scales. I'm also committed to learning to read music. Is there a practical book of just scales that includes both stave notation and tabs? Figured this would be a good place to ask - thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

DB. I don't know if these are the best but I sure like them and have given them as gifts to a couple of budding guitarists who also found them helpful.

http://www.uncletim.com/

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 PM

I just checked out the Uncle Tim website and bought the building blocks book. I've been playing for thirty years and can not play a lead to save my soul. I can play pretty well, just can't play leads unless I work them up ahead of time and play the the SAME WAY every time!

I sure hope this helps.

David
David's CDs
Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
DB. I don't know if these are the best but I sure like them and have given them as gifts to a couple of budding guitarists who also found them helpful.

http://www.uncletim.com/

Thanks oldrocker - I'll check these out.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Everyone has different methods of teaching and learning but for me, these books were very helpful. One day I'll learn what TAB is, other than a kind of soft drink we used to buy.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Jamey Aebersold

One of the best books I've found for scales/exercises is "Jazz Handbook" by Jamey Aebersold (www.jazzbooks.com) Though it is a jazz book and not specific to just guitar, it can be applied to all styles. You can download it for free at:

http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merch...Code=_HANDBOOK

Hope that link works

Cheers
Old 07-23-2008, 06:23 PM

I forget what it's called but it's a book shaped like a guitar which puts the scale on each card in the book and you can fan them out. What i like about it is it gives you the letter formula in addition to the scale in a staff and mapped on the fingerboard. It gives you WWHWWWWH to mean whole step, whole step, half step, whole step etc and does it for several different types of scales so you can just remember them by wholes, halves, minor thirds etc without knocking yourself out calling out all the note names in a scale (the intervals count and the note names change when you move the scale--intervals staying the same for the scale type). look for it in guitar stores--it looks like little guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion