The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Elixir PB vs. Martin MSP4100 PB

I usually use Elixir PBs on my Taylor 314. Strings and Beyond is running a special on the Martin strings. Has anyone A/Bed these two?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Smile

My Taylor's a GS-R/C, but I keep tryin' everything I get my hands on (Elixers, Nano & Poly; EXPs; DR Rares, M & MH; JP; list goes on), and I always end up back at my Martin SP-PBs.

They twang a bunch, 'till you beat the 'new' out of them, but then they're very warm & full.... and IMHO they outlast most.
As they're not coated, I wipe them off, after playing.

They also can be had in '+' or coated versions, now, but in truth.. I just can't warm-up to coated strings.

"If there are no dogs in heaven,
then when I die I want to go where they went" . ~ Will Rogers

Taylor Macassar/Sinker Custom GA
Taylor 910 w/K&K PW Mini
Taylor GS7 w/K&K PW Mini
Taylor DN3
Alvarez PD85SAV
Fishman SoloAmp
DigiTech VL4
A Gnarly Tangle of Cables
Old 07-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Yes, I have a/bed them. IMO, the Martin strings are significantly brighter than the Elixirs. My fingers also tarnish them in a matter of days. (Whereas Elixirs last me for months.)

That said, I like both for different reasons, on different guitars. On my Guild GAD-30, I prefer the warmth of the Elixirs; the Martins sound harsh on it. On Martins, however, with their characteristic bassy tone, I prefer the Martin strings.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Strings

A big vote for Elixir Nanos
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 PM

I guess based on this sample size of three, I'll stick with the Elixirs. I wish they weren't so expensive, but my guitar doesn't need any help sounding bright. It doesn't make any sense to buy strings I might not like just to get a free t-shirt.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM

What guage are you thinking about?

Is it the MSP4100's?

I ask for a good reason, trust me on this one

Perhaps I should change my username to Made In Japan now?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiebrown View Post
Yes, I have a/bed them. IMO, the Martin strings are significantly brighter than the Elixirs. My fingers also tarnish them in a matter of days. (Whereas Elixirs last me for months.)

That said, I like both for different reasons, on different guitars. On my Guild GAD-30, I prefer the warmth of the Elixirs; the Martins sound harsh on it. On Martins, however, with their characteristic bassy tone, I prefer the Martin strings.

Good luck!
Wow, wild. I totally disagree. I find the Elixers extremely bright and jangly, with a muffled low end.

I get more bass definition and volume, more warmth and more woodiness by far from the Martins. Getting off Elixers and getting a bone saddle were the two things that went the farthest in warming up my 810.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made In Canada View Post
What guage are you thinking about?

Is it the MSP4100's?

I ask for a good reason, trust me on this one
I'm looking at the MSP4100 PB, light gauge. I've been using Elixir PB lights.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Smile Enjoy the journey

I have used both Elixor nanos (both light and medium) and Martin MSP4100's PB. I also like D'Addario EXP lights. For me they all work OK, but recently I have been buying quantities of Martin or D'Addario light gauge strings and just changing them more often. I've decided I like the sound of uncoated strings and in terms of life, I don't think I've convinced myself that the coated strings are worth the extra money vs. increased life span. Of course, I could certainly be wrong on that.

As has been said on other threads on strings, the best strings for a particular guitar are not necessarily the best strings for another guitar. And of course personal tastes and playing styles vary drastically, too. All this leads to great insecurity among guitar players who routinely find out that what they thought was true last week is not true this week.

Whatever you decide, you're bound to change your mind later, so I'd suggest enjoying the journey of discovery regarding the myriad of string choices out there.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 PM

I tried EXP coats Phospher Bronze strings on my acoustic electric. Way to bright for my tastes with subdued low end as compared to Martin Marquis Phospher Bronze.
I don't think I will every try another coated string again, especially Elixers if they have a Muffled Low end.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 AM

I've never found elixirs to work well on any guitar I've owned. To me they sound like they are going through a filter with a very flat dynamic. I second the above poster who stated that they lack low end definition.

I prefer the MSP4200's on my CA 5i, MSP1200's on my Martin D-28 Marquis and MSP1100's on my SCGC H-13.

For what it's worth, I'm the type who when finds a string that works well on a guitar, will stop experimenting and just stay with it. I'm sure there are probably many strings out their that may be much better then my choices, but I love the tone of each of my instruments with their respective string selections, so I don't really care much. I just wish that my acoustics could be more like my electrics and have a "one size fits all" approach. It gets under my skin that I need to buy 3 different sets of strings for 3 acoustic guitars.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM

I have a Taylor 314 that I made the switch from Elixir's to Martin SP's about a year ago. I like the sound of the Martin SP's better. Of course , it is a matter of personal taste. I think they are brighter, clearer, and more jangly sounding than the Nano's...which I also like. The down side is they only last me about a month as opposed to 3 months with Elixir's. However, I still personally like the sound better with the SP's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion