The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Larrivee, Martin, Takemine, and Taylor compared

It was rainy day here in Montreal. What could be better than to go to a decent guitar shop, take over the (sort of) sound proof room, and try out some very nice guitars. I spent about an hour at Italmelodie on Jean Talon today. They stock Larrivee, Martin, Takemine, and Taylor guitars.

I focused on smaller bodied acoustics with cutaways and electronics and played the following models:

Martin 16 Series: 000C-16RGTE AURA:
http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...-16RGTE%20AURA

Larrivee Model LV-03RE
http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/p...ie/LV03RE.html

Takamine TNV760SC
http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=2325&sid=64

Taylor 312ce
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars...ric/300/312ce/

These guitars quickly split themselves into two camps: The Martin and Larrivee on one team vs Takemine and Taylor on the other.

Words to describe the Martin and Larrivee:
  • Warm
  • Woody
  • Soft
  • Close to your ear
  • Somewhat muted
  • No echo
  • Introverted
  • Playing in a room with fabric on the walls

Words to describe the Takamine and Taylor:
  • Bright
  • Chimes
  • Loud
  • Far away
  • Unrestrained
  • Echo
  • Extroverted
  • Playing in a room with tiles on the walls

We often hear of Martin versus Taylor arguments. Based on the models I played today, these two guitar brands are very different and selecting a winner is like saying that strawberries are a better fruit than raspberries. It's really a case of personal tastes and needs. I hope the description above helps you get a sense of how these differ.

Last edited by rnantel; 07-14-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 PM

By the way, I didn't play any of these guitars amplified.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Not sure if i agree about the Martin /Larrivee description . Quite possibly the one you tried may of been somewhat different than my experiences. Not arguing your findings since we all have different ears to hear with . I find Martin to be Warmer and Taylor slighly brighter , I also would like to add you played the guitars in different surroundings , and i also feel the Tak is far out classed by the other three. - i honestly feel most of any guitars sound comes from the players skill and not the guitar.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Not sure if i agree about the Martin /Larrivee description . Quite possibly the one you tried may of been somewhat different than my experiences. Not arguing your findings since we all have different ears to hear with . I find Martin to be Warmer and Taylor slighly brighter.
Yes, we're in agreement. That's what I wrote. Martin is warmer and Taylor is brighter.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
is like saying that strawberries are a better fruit than raspberries.

Strawberries are WAY better than raspberries.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
i also feel the Tak is far out classed by the other three.
Actually, the model that is being compared is one of the nicer Takamines. It might be the most expensive guitar in the group, and I don't think it would be accurate to say that it is "far outclassed" in this case.

Takamine is best known for their less expensive guitars, but they make some very nice instruments, too. I think this particular model can probably hold its own against the Martin, Taylor, and Larrivee that it's being compared with.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
...i honestly feel most of any guitars sound comes from the players skill and not the guitar.
I agree that guitars sounds different based on the player's style of playing. FYI, doing the test above, I played the same songs on all four.

Also, about skill level, I'm not an Andy McKee but have been playing for 35 years and have a a couple of university degrees in music. I used to play professionally but stopped for a few years and have now just rekindled a love of playing.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
Takamine is best known for their less expensive guitars, but they make some very nice instruments, too. I think this particular model can probably hold its own against the Martin, Taylor, and Larrivee that it's being compared with.
A agree. I didn't feel the Takamine was outclassed by the others.

Last edited by rnantel; 07-14-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
A agree. I didn't feel the Takemine was outclassed by the others.
By the way, the Takamine was more expensive than two of the ones mentioned above. (Not sure I can be more specific without breaking rules of this discussion board.)

Last edited by rnantel; 07-14-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, the model that is being compared is one of the nicer Takamines. It might be the most expensive guitar in the group, and I don't think it would be accurate to say that it is "far outclassed" in this case.

I agree. I don't own one but have played a few and I find it hard to believe a upper tier Takemine with solid top, back and side, can be simply ruled "out classed" based on a comparison of brand names of volume production guitars. Just my soap box 2cents worth.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I kinda agree with the comparisons, although I've never played a Tak, I do have one of each of the other three. The Martin and Larriveee do have a mellow sound to them. I don't agree with calling them muted, but the "cloth on the walls" analogy makes sense.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The Martin and Larrivee do have a mellow sound to them. I don't agree with calling them muted, but the "cloth on the walls" analogy makes sense.
I didn't write the "muted" description of the Martin and Larrivée as a criticism. In fact, my personal tastes leaned more towards the Martin and Larrivee.

For the style of music I play (fingerstyle folk/jazz), the long sustain on the Taylor and Takamine created more of a "wall of sound" audio experience than one of hearing individual notes. The bell/chime-like quality of the Takamine and Taylor had the notes blending together. The Martin and Larrivee had less sustain, a diminished "wall of sound", and highlighted the individual notes more.

Last edited by rnantel; 07-14-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM

Takamine, Takamine, Takamine... there's only one "e."

I was trying to let it slide, but then I noticed it was starting to catch on....

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 AM

+1 on Tak. Don't write them off. I love what they do with cedar. And as for Larrivee being muted, usually a new set of strings and a bone saddle upgrade will remedy that perceived lack of sustain; TUSQ and Cleartones don't do these guitars justice.

Other than that, any of these guitars would be fine intermediate-level additions to anyone's stable.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Takamine, Takamine, Takamine... there's only one "e."

I was trying to let it slide, but then I noticed it was starting to catch on....
I'm ashamed! Thanks for catching this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion