The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Parlor/Small-bodied travel guitars

I have been looking recently for a small bodied guitar that I can use for traveling and campfires/camping. I have it narrowed down to either the Breedlove Passport or a Seagull Coastline Grand, both are roughly in the same price range but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these guitars and how they compare to each other? Also, did Larrivee stop making their lower priced parlors? I remember looking at one in a shop a few years back that was priced in the 300-400 dollar range but now I can't seem to find one that is as simple as that guitar was, nor nearly as cheap.

Thanks for the help.

-Dave
Old 07-13-2008, 02:34 PM

For a travel guitar you might want to consider solid wood or laminate - Solid wood will have better tone but be more susceptable to temperature and climate changes ....... laminate sacrifice tone but is more forgiving of rapid changes of location

Another consideration is scale .... some travel guitars go down below 24.75 - Up side is they are easy all hell to carry around - Down side is you can get a tad finger tied

Out of everything I tried for a travel guitar my favorite was an old Gibson ES-140 ..... definately worth a look

Now for travel I use a Ukulele ..... look those over - Same chord fingering as a guitar !!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Larrivee Parlors are not economy guitars anymore but very nice instruments.

The Seagull will suit you well, lam sides and pretty durable. There are better Parlors out there but I can't think of any in the Seagull's price range that are better.....I have no experience with the passport though.

I also like the Martin 00X1, a little bigger than the Seagull and more $ but built like a tank and nice tone. The Seagull has the wider neck. depending on what you prefer.

Perhaps I should change my username to Made In Japan now?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

If you can raise the $ (x2 at the upper end you mention for the Larrivee), the Composite Acoustics "Cargo" is perhaps your best bet. Do a search here on the AGF and you will find that this new-to-the-market small stick of dynamite is all it's cracked up to be. I own one. It's great!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Hi :
A few weeks back I got a Stringsmith Vagabond guitar, and it's really great! I even keep it by my bedside so I can play a few tunes in the morning. It's 13/4" nut and is definitely within your price range. The tone is beautiful for such a small instrument. You can see them at http://www.stringsmith.com/zencart/. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I just picked up (a gift from my wife) a Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo. Short scale, 24.84" and 1.72" neck. Now its not a tone monster, but it does sound better than the Seagull Coastline Folk (which costs more). The neck profile is not as slim as the Larrivee neck on my OM-05, but its still ok.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I thought I'd toss this one in the mix.
The Grestch Americana Series was a good cheapy 3/4 guitar. "Way out west" was the favorite in the series. Laminated wood. Built much better than the price implies. Some folks were closing them out at low prices.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Wow, I am used to much slower moving forums, that was quite a response, thanks a lot everyone you have given me many avenues to explore. I will let you know what I decide on.

-Dave
*Hermann Pasqualato Custom Weissenborn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion