The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium
Default G&L Comanche Arrives --- Cool !

Scored my first Strat-type electric --- a used, mint-conditioned '05 G&L hard-tailed Comanche. I'm a Rickenbacker/Gretsch sort of guy so this was a pretty cathartic experience. I really dig the sonic, tonal, and resonant qualities of this Comanche. The Z-coil Magnetic Field Design pickups have a higher output than I could detect in its Fender counterparts. In addition to the five-way pickup selector, the mini-toggle switch allows additional pickup combinations of neck and bridge pickups or all three pickups. Upgrades include a redburst finish, matching redburst headstock, bird's eye maple neck, and Tolex case. Click on the slideshow URL or on thumbnails for larger pic resolutions. Play on, pick often, and prosper.....Kabookie

Slideshow:
http://s119.photobucket.com/pbwidget...e/d721f2ad.pbw

Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 06-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Nice guitar. I have played a few G&L's and I like them more then their fender counterparts. Leo did a good job with these.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hey, that's a great looking guitar. I've got an S-500 that I really love. I just had it set up and the frets dressed and it is marvy!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Sweet!! Are those locking tuners?

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Congratulations, and welcome to the G&L owners club! They can become very addictive. Currently I have 16 G&L's. Here are my two Comanches.

1990 Comanche V (This is a very rare guitar)

2007 Comanche Studio VI (Only 100 of these were built)

Both guitars

Headstocks

'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Kabookie. That's a beautiful guitar (as are the others posted). In my opinion, this is a much nicer looking guitar than a Fender Strat. I especially like the shape of the headstock. As an owner of several Strats, I've long been interested in the G&L but have never had the opportunity to play one to see if I like it. This one you have really interests me since I do not use tremelo arms and dislike having to "fix" the unstable bridge so the guitar will stay in tune. Probably the Strat I should have kept was the American hardtail I bought the last year they made them. But I always end up getting exasperated with Fender Strats over the location of the selector switch and volume knob--right where I'm always hitting them with my pick and having to readjust them. Do you know if the G&L's selector switch and knobs are in the exact same location as the Fender?

Nice guitar and congratulations!

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Salieri View Post
Sweet!! Are those locking tuners?
Yep!

Late.....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 PM

Bob.....Man, that IS a sublime-looking S-500 and I bet it plays like butter. Just beautiful, brah.

Sprinter.....16 G&Ls!!! Wow. Question ~ Where do you store all of 'em? Thanks to the both of you for sharing pics of your G&Ls. Play on, pick often, and prosper.....Kabookie
-------------------
Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
Kabookie. That's a beautiful guitar (as are the others posted). In my opinion, this is a much nicer looking guitar than a Fender Strat. I especially like the shape of the headstock. As an owner of several Strats, I've long been interested in the G&L but have never had the opportunity to play one to see if I like it. This one you have really interests me since I do not use tremelo arms and dislike having to "fix" the unstable bridge so the guitar will stay in tune. Probably the Strat I should have kept was the American hardtail I bought the last year they made them. But I always end up getting exasperated with Fender Strats over the location of the selector switch and volume knob--right where I'm always hitting them with my pick and having to readjust them. Do you know if the G&L's selector switch and knobs are in the exact same location as the Fender?

Nice guitar and congratulations!
Thanks for your sentiments, Old Rocker. At first, when I talked to my buddy Laun @ Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin, he mentioned the Comanche had a hardtail rather than G&L's patented Dual Fulcrum® vibrato. I thought about it briefly. Frankly, the Bigbsy vibratos on my Gretsches were the only ones that worked well without throwing strings quickly out of tune after a couple of bends. Of course, mileage varies from person to person. So I decided the hardtail was a good alternative.

As far as the positioning of the five-way selector knob, this Comanche has just about the same placement as the American Standard Fender. I usually strum and pick right over the middle pickup and occasionally stray towards the gap between the mid and bass pickups. I haven't run into the five-way pickup selector thus far. But who knows? It may happen sometime in the future!

Play on, pick often, and prosper.....Kabookie
-------------------
Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Bob.....Man, that IS a sublime-looking S-500 and I bet it plays like butter. Just beautiful, brah.
Thanks, man. It was a birthday gift from my wife.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post

Sprinter.....16 G&Ls!!! Wow. Question ~ Where do you store all of 'em?

I store them wherever I can find some room. I found some bed risers, that allowed me to raise may bed 6" so I can double stack cases under it! How are you liking your Comanche?

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Only visiting this planet

Here's my old Legacy
Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Congrats! G&L makes some great guitars I love my G&L Tribute ASAT Special. It's a tribute, i know, but it's special; it played the best of all the guitars in the store that day (including USA models)

I'd love to pick up a commanche or S-500 one of these days though.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelew View Post
Here's my old Legacy
Suuweeeet! Aaahhh, eye candy. Keep on keepin' on.....Kabookie
-------------------
Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Talking

G & L Did somebody say G & L?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification