The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Melodic Fingerstyle Books/Instructionals?

I've searched for a while, and didn't find any threads that fit, so please no rants about the search function =).

My instrument has been the piano for 14 years, but artists like Andy McKee, Isato Nakagawa, and Edgar Cruz have introduced me to a whole new element of the guitar. I'm heavily bored with strumming block chord pieces, dry classical guitar, and backup guitar fingerstyle.

What books or websites are recommended for an acoustic guitarist who wants to learn strong solo pieces that include the melody? I realize that arranging the pieces on my own is the likely answer, but my skill with the guitar is still too low to do so at the moment. Also, most sites and books are flooded with the vanilla version of pieces and I'm getting frustrated.

Examples:

Andy McKee: "For My Father"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4

Edgar Cruz: Classic Pieces Solo Style
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3avSlilOzAQ

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Like you, I have been interested in solo fingerstyle for some time now. The series of books that most helped me were the Hal Leonard "Fingerpicking" series. Each book is usually 15 or so tunes arranged solo fingerstyle in standard notation and tab. The various titles include: Fingerpicking Acoustic; Fingerpicking Acoustic Rock; Fingerpicking Pop; Fingerpicking Beatles; Fingerpicking Country; Fingerpicking Ballads; Fingerpicking Classical; Fingerpicking Standards; and others. They are available from Amazon and other sellers.

Here is a search on Hal Leonard that has them listed (among others) and you can look at the various songlists:

http://www.halleonard.com/search_ite...1&type=product

These arrangements are not especially complicated, but sound great. Though I rarely play in public, when I have, people seem to like these tunes.

Hope this helps

Jon
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM

I'd kinda like to see some more suggestions. I am very interested in this style as well.

This has been my favorite video for a while now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsePsTEgiqU

Chet is the Man!!

McKeeFan
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM

If you are looking for finger style guitarists that really emphasize "melody" in their playing...you should check out Stephen Bennett and Tommy Emmanuel among many many others.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

A few guys come to mind. Mark Hanson, Tommy Emmanual, Chris Proctor, Simon Fox and Martin Simpson.

They should keep you busy for about 10 years or so.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion