The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Default String Suggestion for Ibanez AW100CE

Hello,
I am an intermediate player, and just got a used Ibanez Artwood AW100CE from 2005. As I am mostly an electric guitar player I don't know anything about acoustic guitar strings, type or gauge. If there is anyone that has this or simalar guitar could give me a recommendation for the best sounding strings for this guitar to get me started.
Thanks,
CP
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm a big Dean Markley fan. If your fingers are accustomed to the action of an electric, I would suggest going with lights or extra lights in a brand you like. Any other suggestion you'll get will start in with someone's personal preferences. Get a couple different types/brands and see what fits you the best.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 AM

I have an Ibanez Artwood guitar too--an AW50CENT (Cutaway, Electric, NaTural). My other guitars use the industry standard--the D'Addario J-17 sets. These are Phosphor Bronze alloy, and a medium gauge. On my Ibanez, I use a Light Gauge J-16 set. This gives me a great full acoustic tone, yet the strings are a little easier for me to bend for playing leads. The lighter gauge is a little less stressful on the top.

I prefer Phosphor Bronze strings over Brass 80/20 alloy. They have a slightly mellower tone and better sustain, but they tend to keep that tone longer than the 80/20 strings that often darken very quickly.

On an acoustic guitar that you might not be using much, a good option is a COATED string, like the D'Addario EXP Series. The coating helps protect the bronze or 80/20 alloy from corrosion.

Elixir is another company that offers a coated string, but they're not my favorite. They have higher tension than the D'Addario sets of the same gauge--so they are harder to play and break more often on my guitars.

I also have used Martin, Pearse, GHS, Markley and Gibson strings--of these, the Martin MSP-4200, or their Eric Clapton Signature Strings are my favorites.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks this was the type of info I was looking for.
CP

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion