The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Default T5 + acoustic saddle + acoustic lights = buzz?

Hi!

I ordered the T5 acoustic compensated saddle because I realized that I mainly use my T5 for acoustic-like music. I had this set of Elixir acoustic lights around, so last night when the saddle arrived I jumped right on to it.

First I noticed that the saddle did not fit in the other saddle's slot. It was wider. So I carefully sanded the front and back of the saddle, without sanding its bottom so I would not lose any of its height.

I then was able to fit the saddle in the slot and put on the strings. The acoustic unplugged sound was much better from the start, but I started to get fret buzz, especially in the D string, when playing a F (3rd fret).

The buzz seemed to be coming from the string touching the higher frets (around the 16th). Also, playing it a little bit more I found sometimes the strings touch the bridge pickup.

I tried to relieve the tension on the neck around 1/4 and 1/2 of a turn but it didn't do any better.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What can I do to fix it? Yes, I know, take it to a Taylor Authorized Repair Center is my best bet. But I would like to know what they would do to fix it. Raise the saddle somehow? Change the neck angle?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks!
Marcel
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Unless I am completely mistaken, the Taylor website recommends using medium gauge acoustic strings on the T5. Even though it uses light gauge electrics. Something to do with different core wire diameters. Perhaps the compensated saddle is set up for mediums?

2004 354CE-L7
2001 614CE
2004 814CE
1995 910
2004 T5-C2 Koa
Schecter C-1 Classic

Gone but not forgotten: Hagstrom II, 70 SG Deluxe, Epi maple jumbo, 70 Guild D25, Gibson L6/s, 72 Les Paul Studio, 96 Takamine Ltd, Gibson 137 Classic.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:02 AM

I have an acoustic saddle and acoustic light strings on my T5 and haven't had a problem at all. The people at Taylor told me that acoustic lights should work just fine...and mine do.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:21 AM

Sounds to me like you got a saddle that is not tall enough. Take the saddle out and stand it up against the original saddle and compair the height. I'd almost be willing to bet the new one you got is not tall enough. There is no way that the strings should even come close to hitting the pickup.

If this is the case, call Taylor, explain the problem to them, and they will send you another saddle for free.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Default Still no clue...

Thanks guys,

I followed bobc's suggestion and took the saddle off for comparison. they are exactly the same height at sight. I even put the original saddle back in with the acoustic lights and got the same buzz.

I take it back what I said about the strings hitting the pickup, that was just my first impression. They are not. The buzz is on the frets closer to the body of the guitar, and it is more noticeable when you play the D string on the 2nd and 3rd frets, picking the string with your thumb. And also a little bit of buzz when you play the high E string on the 15th or 16th frets.

I think the only way out is to take it to a Taylor Authorized Repair shop. Any good ones around Austin, Texas?

Cheers,
Marcel
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Your neck may not have enough relief. I'd experiment with loosening the truss rod more. Medium strings have more tension than light strings and you may have the relief you need with mediums but the lights may not have enough tension to create the relief or "warp" in the neck needed to avoid buzzing with low action. If loosening the truss some doesn't stop the buzzing and you want to continue using light strings you might need the upper frets leveled. Or just go back to medium strings. Lew
Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Marcel,

Before you take it to a repair person, I would suggest that you loosen the truss rod about a 1/4 turn, and see what happens. With the acoustic strings, you might need a touch more relief in the neck, and that could solve the buzz problem.

Jim
Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Thanks Lew and Jim

Lew and Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions!
I tried relieving the tension but still no good, that buzz is still annoying me.
Guess I am running out of options...

Marcel
Old 02-25-2008, 02:09 PM

So just to be thorough.. You were using the standard Elixir medium gauge electric strings beforehand and had no issues with buzzing, correct? You switched to the acoustic saddle and went with light gauge (12-53) acoustic strings and you're experiencing buzzing? Doesn't particularly surprise me if that is the case. You checked the neck relief which may need to be tightened which is ok. You said the saddle heights are identical on both saddles. Something to consider is that the acoustic strings are thicker so to get identical action as the electric strings, your new saddle should be ever so slightly higher than with electric strings. Then again, I didn't have any buzzing using light gauge acoustic strings on my T5 before I sold it... and that was with the stock saddle. Maybe the action is too low at the nut. Areas to check in this order:

1) Neck Relief
2) Action at the saddle
3) Action as the nut

Hope that helps.
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the thorough analysis!

So, if the neck adjustment does not do the trick, and you need to work on the action either on the nut or on the saddle, what are the options for a T5?

Would I have to have a custom nut or saddle made? Could I special order from Taylor? In the saddle, instead of having a new one made, could I have those shims under it? Would that affect the sound really bad?

Thanks
Marcel
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macribas View Post

Would I have to have a custom nut or saddle made? Could I special order from Taylor? In the saddle, instead of having a new one made, could I have those shims under it? Would that affect the sound really bad?

Thanks
Marcel
Nope you wouldn't need a new saddle or nut made. Shimming is probably the easiest way if saddle/ nut height is the culprit. Bob Colosi (guitarsaddles.com) sells ebony shims which are the way to go about shimming your saddle/ nut. Make sure your neck relief is spot on before messing with the action as I still think this might be the culprit. If not, try shimming the saddle.
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 PM

Nice, I have heard about Bob Colosi, looks really promising.

Thanks a lot for the expert tips!

Marcel
Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
*mahoganut*

Default Just confirming the other recommendations..

I also have the compensated acoustic saddle on my T5, and put Martin SP extra lights (010-047) PB on, and have had no fret buzz problems. I am a bit concerned about your initial saddle fit problem - mine was tight but fit just right.

Don't omit the visual inspection - sighting from the bottom of the guitar up the neck and looking for unusual bending of the fingerboard (usually a body humidity problem; not very likely with the T5, but still worth looking).

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM

Yeah, I was afraid of that too. I had humidity problems with my Baby Taylor in my old apartment. Knowing that I took good care of the T5, but who knows...
After you mentioned, I kinda have the impression the fretboard "rises" a bit in the part where the neck attaches to the body.
I have the Dampits around, I might give them a try.

Marcel
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 AM

Default Wow, 35% humidity

T5 is in the case with 2 Dampits for a day now, just recycled them.

I decided to swing by Guitar Center and get one of those Planet Waves digital hygrometers. I got home and turned it on, and wow, it showed 35% humidity pretty much all over. The highest it showed was 37%. This is bad, isn't it?

I lived pretty much my entire life in Brazil where humidity is way higher, and there is no central air/heating in homes. Therefore I never cared about low humidity. In fact, we sometimes had to use silica gel in guitar cases so it doesn't get too wet in there.

Stupid that I am, I thought that keeping the guitars on their cases here was good enough for keeping the humidity. Guess not...

Let's see if the T5 recovers from the dryness it is apparently suffering from.

'89 Giannini Flat
'98 Taylor 310ce
'02 Baby Taylor (signed by Christopher Cross)
'02 Taylor 710ce
'06 Yamaha FG700S
'06 Ovation Legend LX6756 12-String
'11 Taylor NS24e Fall LTD
'13 Washburn EA20SNB
'14 Godin Multiac Nylon SA
'19 Martin D-28
'21 Martin D-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion