The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 07:12 AM

Default what do you think about all these new acoustic with solid wood and their cheap prices

Keep getting plasterd with some of this new guitars that are out some from Asia ( Blueridge , Silver Creek )and the US as well ( Tacoma , Seagull and Larrivee as well) with low bargain prices , even as far as 250 bucks solid hog and spruce --299 solid Rosewood, Spruce - How do these sound -
Been so use to spending the big bucks on US made Martins, Larrys , Guilds , Gibsons etc, that i am kinda snobby about quality , but i keep hearing their quality is getting close to the big boys for chunk change - whats going on and whats your favorite ! Im also a tad bit worried about some of this low priced higher quality killing some US manufacturers .( if thats whats happening )
Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Welcome to Wal-Mart. Ain't a global economy wunnerful?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 AM

Tacomas are only cheap because no one bought them! The list prices are up there, but they generally go for about 1/2 off. Good for me that I collect them, bad for Tacoma & Fender.

All the other imports time will tell. It is what it is. We hang on to our American made guitars and cherish what North American craftsman have been so good at as long as we can. When we can't afford to buy them anymore then they go bust and that is sad, but follows the pattern. Of course there are some really good guitars out there, but I'll not jump on the import wagon until my USAmobile breaks down.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 AM

Every Guild Gad I've picked up sound ...WOW ! Still not sure if I want to send that much of my money to China
Old 02-23-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Keep getting plasterd with some of this new guitars that are out some from Asia ( Blueridge , Silver Creek )and the US as well ( Tacoma , Seagull and Larrivee as well) with low bargain prices , even as far as 250 bucks solid hog and spruce --299 solid Rosewood, Spruce - How do these sound -
Been so use to spending the big bucks on US made Martins, Larrys , Guilds , Gibsons etc, that i am kinda snobby about quality , but i keep hearing their quality is getting close to the big boys for chunk change - whats going on and whats your favorite ! Im also a tad bit worried about some of this low priced higher quality killing some US manufacturers .( if thats whats happening )
you're not going to find a new guitars with solid sides and backs for that price.........those are going to be laminates.............solids tops, for sure..........
Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 AM

Another thing to consider is at what length are some of these makers willing to go to capture that "vibe"? I have read countless stories of thin tops, bulging bellies and bridges just waiting to fly off and pop you in the temple. I just don't see these guitars on eBay in 2075.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 AM

Some of the solid wood guitars are approaching those prices. And they are well made very good sounding guitars. Some are superior (in sound and build quality) to the American made products they are copying. (IMO, of course.) Some are very good values and some (of course) are crap... just like American made stuff. That I've found, you need to get into the $500+ range to find really nice guitars. My opinion is play 'em... if they do it for you, they are the right ones to get.

You are pretty hard pressed to buy ANYTHING not made outside the US these days. Shoes, clothes, strawberries... look close at those labels. Even lots of the stuff labeled "Made in USA" is assembled here with parts made elsewhere. It's a big world and we aren't the only ones here.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
you're not going to find a new guitars with solid sides and backs for that price.........those are going to be laminates.............solids tops, for sure..........

You can buy all solid wood Silver Creek guitars between $*** and $*** at Musicians Friend right now. They are built by the same company that builds the Johnson Carolina guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...=100001+706042

That price includes a "free gift" (a hardshell case).
PRS SE Custom 24

Last edited by Forensicguy; 02-23-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Price Discussions on Specific Guitars Not Allowed on the Forum
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

It's only good news for consumers.

The stuff coming from Asia and China these days is far better it's ever been before. Not everybody wants to plunk down 1000-1500 for a good solid wood guitar.

You got to have realistic expectations, though, and you can't expect too much from a guitar that's 300-500.

Competition brings out the best in everybody. It' only going to push these companies to keep making them better and better.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Pretty amazing

I've recently played GAD Guilds and Epi Masterbilts. Wish these kind of relative values were around back when I started playing 35 years ago.
tj
Old 02-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tony...
I'm reserving judgement till further evaluations, and as a whole I welcome them for potentially being a good guitar for ''returning'' players - people who played in high school and now as adults think they want to return to guitar and learn it again.

If any good, these would also make great knock-around guitars (parks, RV, camping, trips, offices etc).

The considerations for me would be tone, and playability. I'm sure some of them are fit enough to set the action well and we'll have to see where they fall in the tone spectrum - I suspect some will be good.

Again it's a circumstance where we the players can win...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 AM

In the past three years or so, I have acquired a Guild GAD-30PCE and an Epiphone EF-500R. Both are solid wood guitars. Both built overseas. Both are well built and sound very good and play easily.
I am more than satisfied with them. I have less money in the both than I would in a comparable guitar from Martin or Taylor. I am certainly not saying that Martin and Taylor are not wonderful guitars - they certainly are - but I have two for the price of one of them.
I frankly do not care if they will be on Ebay in 2075. I have them now and play them now. I will likely be dead in 2075, and would not care if they showed on Ebay at that time.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 AM

I was recently in the market for a 2nd guitar and looked long and hard at some of those brands, blueridge, epiphone masterbuilts and was very impressed byt the sound and ease of play for the money. Was actually going to buy the masterbuilt but ran across a Tacoma DM9 for a litte less and couldn't resist.

I would not put Tacoma in this same "cheap solid guitar" category, their price is mostly a victim of bad marketing and they had some pretty serious finish issues with some of them. They were all fixed with that lifetime warranty with great results, but you know how something like that can kill a good product. My number one guitar is a Tacoma DR38 that I would put up against anything under $3000 for sound, sustain and playability. In fact I did that before I bought it and hands down it was either the winner or equal to anything in that range.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
It's only good news for consumers.

The stuff coming from Asia and China these days is far better it's ever been before. Not everybody wants to plunk down 1000-1500 for a good solid wood guitar.

You got to have realistic expectations, though, and you can't expect too much from a guitar that's 300-500.

Competition brings out the best in everybody. It' only going to push these companies to keep making them better and better.
Not to get into an economics debate, but an ever expanding balance of trade deficit largely fueled by cheap labor and the Chinese Government manipulation of the value of the yuan, combined with the ongoing loss of the skilled jobs that used to build american made product, will continue to erode purchasing power among working people going forward.

So, yes, right now, for people with jobs and disposable income, there is an advantage to cheap imports. But, because of worldwide competition, we're seeing a paradigm shift that will end up with a declining standard of living for a large % of the US population over the next 20 years. The positive offset is the worldwide standard of living has never been better, and will continue to improve as ours declines.

Conclusion... it is better for the US to buy product made here by companies headquartered here. It's why I drive a Cadillac instead of an Infinity.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 AM

i would have to feel that the workers in china are not as well paid as in the U.S. . there are reports of slave labor exploitation etc i dont know ive never been to china. i like the U.S. stuff call it patriotism if you will.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion