The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Default pc recording on a budget

I'd like to hear some suggestions for a budget recording/mixing program for the computer. I'd prefer something under $100 and EASY TO USE. As of right now i'll be only recording vocals and acoustic. that being said, which mic would you recommend, once again not too expensive but a bang for the buck kind of deal. thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:26 PM

I started out with ntrack and still use it. It alows multiple tracks, plug ins and is fairly easy to use, plus it has a very friendly forum. It costs $64, though you can download a trial version:

ntrack

Many people have suggested Audacity, which is free. I'm not familiar with it.

For a mic you can get as cheap as $30 to ..... You'll need a mixer or preamp to plug the mic into then plug into the computer. Behringer makes an inexpensive $35 mixer. Alternatively, you can buy mics that plug into your USB port.

Here's some sites to do a little research:

http://audiominds.com/

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

http://homerecording.com/

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles1.htm

www.tweakheadz.com/

Good luck, and have fun.....

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM

I use Acoustica Mixcraft,it's cheap and most importantly really user friendly.They give you a weeks free trial so you have nothing to lose by checking it out.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM

thanks for the recommendations. i'll look into them. are they both internet download programs only?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegator81 View Post
I'd like to hear some suggestions for a budget recording/mixing program for the computer. I'd prefer something under $100 and EASY TO USE. As of right now i'll be only recording vocals and acoustic. that being said, which mic would you recommend, once again not too expensive but a bang for the buck kind of deal. thanks.
Admittedly I'm no much of a techie, but I use Audacity on a XP computer with M_Audio Firewire Solo box and a couple of MXL condensor mics.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Check out THIS PAGE on my site for a totally FREE 16 track setup that uses the soundcard you already have. PC Only.

As for a mic setup, I suggest a Behringer UB 802 mixer & a MXL990 mic. A very usable combo, and has worked well for me for over 3 years doing what you are planing to do.

Good Luck!
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell