The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-15-2008, 04:09 PM

Default The Great CD Swap?

I just wrapped up a new CD. It'll be out next week. I know a lot of you people record as well. I get to hear what you do here once in a while, but I was wondering if some of you would like to swap CD's? It seems like everybody has a CD burner these days. Maybe we could keep costs down by keeping things simple and forget about CD Trays and just burn a CDr, put it in a regular old paper sleeve, drop it in a padded envelope, and then a couple of stamps ought to do it for postage.

I don't play out much anymore except for a few festivals over the summer. In fact, I'm closing in on 49 years of age and seldom even go to concerts now. I hate the radio. I mostly find out about new music from friends and certain radio shows like World Cafe that only come on a couple of hours per week. The few times I've played at Winfield, I've always come away awed by how many terrific musicians there are out there that nobody ever heard of because, like me, they only play an occassional festival or something.

Anyway, if you'd like to trade, drop me a message. And maybe think about swapping with some other people here too. I play a little bit of everything myself: rock, jazz, a touch of bluegrass, fingerstyle acoustic, etc. So be warned that I'm far from being strictly an acoustic guy (although I'm leaning more in that direction all the time). At least half of my new CD is old school rock, kind of like Jeff Beck or Roy Buchanan in places and so forth. But I like listening to anything but rap or metal, so let me know what you've got.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Quacker, I think yours is a good idea, but it's easier yet with the internet. Do you have a site and/or page on myspace, soundcick, or one of the others?

Out of curiousity, what do you plan to do with your soon-to-be-released cd?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Browse around member's websites, CDBaby and the like. Serious CD sales are probably history pretty soon. Yeah, wav files sound somewhat better than mp3s but more and more people are doing electronic mp3 downloads (like my wife does to her IPod). Browse around, if you like a particular song download that one.
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Well, sure I've got a website with some free downloads and even a video on YouTube and stuff, but it just isn't the same as holding a CD in your hand that's a cohesive work of art. I don't want to read a chapter or two from a book. I want to read a whole book. I know mp3 sales are big and all, and they're great for singles. It's like they're the 45 rpm records of today. When I was a kid, my sister and I both bought plenty of 45's, but they were mostly from one hit wonders. But we bought LP's by the musicians we were serious about. I don't think CD's are gonna go away anytime soon. You can't do cross-fades with mp3's. And where's the liner notes? It just ain't the same. I personally think mp3's and CD's will both have their place for a long time. It seems to be the 60's all over again. The 45's back then mostly sold to kids who only listened to radio hits. The LP's sold to the serious music crowd. Anybody remember 78's? They were like 45's in that they had one song on each side. But they also boxed a half dozen or so of them together and sold them as albums. Both sold well. Believe me, I'm not knocking mp3's; I sold a bunch of downloads for a cover of Secret Agent Man during the past year. I've thus far made more money from downloads than I have from CD sales. But I never had a proper CD out before. That first one was just a pre-release.

Anyhow, it's CD's I want to hear. I can hear all the mp3's I want right here.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:37 PM

At least you're not wishy-washy about it. I'd trade with you if I had a CD to trade, but all I have are cover songs, offered up as mp3's on soundclick for anyone who cares to listen.

ps: You don't list a link to your webpage. I was going to listen to what I could find there.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquacker View Post
Well, sure I've got a website with some free downloads and even a video on YouTube and stuff, but it just isn't the same as holding a CD in your hand that's a cohesive work of art. I don't want to read a chapter or two from a book. I want to read a whole book. I know mp3 sales are big and all, and they're great for singles. It's like they're the 45 rpm records of today. When I was a kid, my sister and I both bought plenty of 45's, but they were mostly from one hit wonders. But we bought LP's by the musicians we were serious about. I don't think CD's are gonna go away anytime soon. You can't do cross-fades with mp3's. And where's the liner notes? It just ain't the same. I personally think mp3's and CD's will both have their place for a long time. It seems to be the 60's all over again. The 45's back then mostly sold to kids who only listened to radio hits. The LP's sold to the serious music crowd. Anybody remember 78's? They were like 45's in that they had one song on each side. But they also boxed a half dozen or so of them together and sold them as albums. Both sold well. Believe me, I'm not knocking mp3's; I sold a bunch of downloads for a cover of Secret Agent Man during the past year. I've thus far made more money from downloads than I have from CD sales. But I never had a proper CD out before. That first one was just a pre-release.

Anyhow, it's CD's I want to hear. I can hear all the mp3's I want right here.
Charlie, Blue Denim Records, right? For you even the switch from analog to digital sound must have been tough.
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Is there a moderater in this place who knows how to keep discussions on topic?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquacker View Post
...but I was wondering if some of you would like to swap CD's?
Not anymore, no.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM

Again, any moderaters around here, or is it all the same guy with a few dozen usernames like most dopey forums? Of course, send me CD's from dozens of different addresses and I'll begin to think some of you are real people. Until then, pardon me while I laugh.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Maybe this link would help...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friend.../dp/0671723650

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell