The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Default My New Guitar...Huss and Dalton CM-12

Pretty huh?

Let me tell you a bit more about the specs and impressions from the first couple of weeks with this guitar.

Specs:
Huss and Dalton CM-12
Cedar/EIR
Koa Binding
Gotoh 510s
K&K Pure Western
12 fret neck with 25.4 scale length
1.75 nut

Looks:

I really like the look of this guitar. In their print materials they describe the CM as a small Dred but playing it I feel it is more aptly described as a "husky" or "loose fit" 000. It is not much wider than a 000 but does have (I think) significantly more depth (4 5/8" at the tail). The Huss and Dalton shop is only about one mile from my work so I had opportunity to come over and sift through piles of wood with one of their guys and pick the woods for my guitar. The Rosewood back was very pretty in its raw form with purples and tans and blacks...it lost a bit in the process but is still a lovely set. The top shows no run out and is very appealing. The Koa binding was a bit of an upcharge but I think it is beautiful especially around the headstock. The fit and finish are top notch. The binding and purfling are beautiful.

Sound:

I picked up the guitar several weeks ago and the guitar had only been under tension for a very short while. Initially I was "satisfied" but not really impressed with the sound of the guitar. I played a good many hours over several days. (Tanget: I was not at all crazy about the D'addario strings that came on the guitar they were very squeaky and to my ears thin sounding) I changed the strings and put her to bed the second night still not overly impressed. It seems that during that night the guitar figured out it was no longer a tree (or Mssrs Huss and Dalton broke in my house and did some voodoo brace shaving) and woke up the third day with a much larger, warmer voice. I really cannot overstate the difference from the second to the third day. By the end of the third day I was floored by the versitility and depth to the guitar. It handles all of the tunings I use remarkably well for a standard scale instrument. I am not sure if it is the bridge placement from the 12 fret neck or the added depth but the guitar has a great depth to the bass for a smallish guitar. I am very happy with the sound of the instrument from Standard down to CGCGCD. It is a very versitile instrument.

Comfort:

It is a very comfortable guitar to play. The short neck keeps the left hand closer to the body and makes reaches comfortable. It is also a good size for a couch guitar.

Process:

I bought this guitar through Bill at Artisan guitars and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a music store. Both he and Ellie were very helpful and did a great job getting me a great guitar.

I also highly recommend Huss and Dalton as makers of fine small shop guitars. They were very kind to me as I pestered them through the build process for pictures and visits.

If any forum folks are ever through Staunton let me know and you can audition this little beauty.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Chris, congratulations. What a sweet-looking (and apparently nice playing and great sounding) guitar. Enjoy!

Mark
Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

sweet cedar rosewood!!!! looks great
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Beautiful! And I suspect the sound is even better. Congratulations!

cotten
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 AM

Beautiful. And you're right - the Koa bindings make a big difference in the overall look of the guitar.

Glad to hear it opened for you so quickly, though I'm sure it will get much better over time. It's also great that you're so close to the shop and had the ability to go pick woods, check status in person, etc. That's a rare luxury..

Congrats..

Adam
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the looks and replies...and thanks to Adam for hosting the pics.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
A Santa Fe Artist

Very nice. Congrats! H&D builds a wonderful instrument.

The Artist's Mission Blog
Coastland Tampa
My MySpace

Cornerstone SJ #007 - Camatillo/Sinker Redwood
Taylor 815c 1984 Lemon Grove - Brazilian/Sitka
Yamaha LL-11 - Beach Guitar - EIR/Engelmann
Peavey Grind Bass BXP NTB
Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Beautiful. What a prize. Congratulations.

I'm curious. Do you think the change of strings was a major factor in the H&D's overnight transformation? What kind of strings did you put on it?

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion